From a newbie

Like some lottery, we [chref=71]think[/chref] we can beat the odds and win life without [chref=69]rolling up [our] sleeves[/chref]. Each moment we gamble away a penny's worth of integrity in the hope of getting a dollar's worth of [chref=37]desire[/chref]'s winnings. Alas, each day holds an eternity of such moments, so it all adds up! How intelligent do we need to be [chref=71]to know[/chref] this?

The [chref=32]way[/chref] is simpler than words and thinking can understand, which is one reason we have difficulty [chref=70]understanding[/chref] 'it'. We are using the wrong tool, the brain. Not literally, but by taking thoughts too seriously; we make too much 'noise' to hear the [chref=43]teaching that uses no words[/chref]. We make too much 'noise' to feel the [chref=25]silent and void[/chref] enlightened view. Ironically, from a symptom's point of view, we may be making all this 'noise' to avoid feeling this silent and void view. We fear 'it', yet by relying on thought to pin 'it' down, we can never know 'it'. This leaves us consciously* unaware of 'it'. And, like they say, we fear the unknown. In short, fear drives the thought; thought suppresses knowing; not-knowing drives fear.

All in all, our intelligence stands in our [chref=32]way[/chref]. Our [chref=65]cleverness[/chref] hinders rather than helps [chref=10]knowing[/chref], which makes this is a trick question I guess. In this, as everything else, [chref=41]the way that leads forward seems to lead backward[/chref].

* I am using conscious here as the thought based specie-centric experience many people define it to be. Personally I feel that everything, right down to the quark, is conscious,... huh? :roll: Although, I imagine that anyone seriously drawn to the Taoist point of view has at least begun to sense this [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref] side of consciousness... at least subconsciously. :wink:

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hello all,

I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. My name is Karen, I'm 31 years old. I first read the Tao te Ching in college, but put it aside because it didn't speak to me at the time.

I came back to it in January of last year, while I was taking a class on the I Ching. I continue to study and work with the Tao, the I Ching, and I've also taken up Tai Chi.

I read and meditate on the Tao during my lunch hours, and other times. I'm not to the depth that I see a lot on this board, but I hope to get there in time.

I look forward to reading the boards, and to contributing.

-Karen
  • edited December 1969
    Hi there Karen. Welcome on board - the boat's a little tatty, and the crew possibly a tad crazy, but we'll all talk and discuss and joke until the cows come home.

Look forward to hearing more from you. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Wandering.Taoist:[/cite](1)...I first read the Tao te Ching in college, but put it aside because it didn't speak to me at the time.

(2)... I'm not to the depth that I see a lot on this board, but I hope to get there in time.

Welcome Karen,

(1) The first time I read it (age ~20), only one or two chapters really hit home for me. Now, 40+ years later, it all hits home, yet, each time I read it, insights deepen. I reckon that would be so even if I lived 1000 years. (2) So, time will take care of it all. Moreover, the deep and shallow [chref=2]produce each other[/chref]. Simply keep that in mind to avoid chasing your tail. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Karen,
    Welcome to the board. Glad to hear of your new progress in the Tao Te Ching. It seems to be a book that is illusive to many. This is it's character. It is like Tao and is as it should be. I believe this can be frustrating and challenging for those who have some understanding of it's truth. It has been this way for me anyway.

When I first read the Tao Te Ching I didn't understand it at all. But I did sense its uniqueness. As an artist I admired its recognition of negative space. I left it for too long. Now I know I will never leave it's side.

Like Carl said, as I get older it speaks more and more to me about who I am and what this life is.
  • edited December 1969
    hello karen,
    i am also a new member, and actually prefer to read posts more than create them. but that is only because of my current stage of learning. it would seem you are at the depth you need to be, yes?
    welcome and good journey,
    -yr.k