Tai Chi, Ki Gong, Yoga, Kung Fu

edited March 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
[cite] TheNowSeeker:[/cite](1)...Words are like nets, they are employed to catch fish. Once the fish are caught the nets are no longer needed.

(2) ... Carl, how does one plan without words? I guess it's a matter of balance (?)

(3) ... subconscious attachments that will take a lot longer to erode if i merely immerse myself in the nothing/everything. (cue link to Correlations) ;-)

1) Good analogy! I'd add that it is at the emotional level that the "fish are caught". When you know what you know at the sub-thought level, any words which bubble up are simply reflections of that knowing. Of course, that is always the case, i.e., the words we think, the 'understanding' we believe we have is rooted in our emotion. Words are merely symptoms - shadows cast by the flames of our emotion (with desire being one of the 'brightest').

2) Words are not the problem! I mean, if they are, I'm in big trouble :lol: . The problem lies in our belief that words capture truth - how things actually are. In reality, they are only reflections of one's internal emotional forces. Realizing this makes it easy [chref=71]to know yet to think that one does not know[/chref]. So, with plans, it is not the plan (nor the thought that forms it) that is the problem, but the emotional forces which drive it, cling to it, or avoid it. So, plan away! :wink:

3) When we can immerse ourselves in "nothing/everything", the "attachments" have no place to stick. "Attachments" are never subconscious. Attachments drives us, like a horse which pulls a wagon. We cannot be unaware of the horse. We just don't recognize the horse is a horse - we believe it is 'free will'. The "sub" aspect has more to do with our unwillingness to accept and realize that need and fear ('attachments') drives us. We think we are in control. I guess we call that denial.

I see this whole journey as one into personal self honesty. Seeing ourselves as we are, rather than as we 'think' we are. For how we 'think' we are is but a reflection of how we desire to be, or fear we are. We have an emotional agenda centered around an idea of [chref=7]self[/chref] which pushes thought and inhibits us from seeing 'it' as 'it' is.

It is so ridiculously [chref=70]easy[/chref], and yet,... Like they say, we are our own worst enemy. :shock:

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I was just wondering what everyone practiced and whic do you find is the best.

I did 3 Months of Dhan Yoga, with Ki Gong which I found a lot better than Yoga but was thinking of taking up Shaolin Kung Fu.

thoughts, experiences, etc

Whats best for Chi
  • edited December 1969
    Mike

It depends on what works for you - I tried yoga for almost 2 years and although I liked it, it didn't do anything to help the dodgy knee I've got (dislocated my left kneecap twice, 6 years apart, doing Fencing (swords)) :shock: Note: my advice, don't dislocate anything - it really hurts!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I took up Tai Chi via the Taoist Tai Chi Society about 5 years ago now and not only has it worked wonders for my knee, but it's also helped rebuild the dent in the thigh muscle that I got from a car accident in 1991.

As to whether it's better for Chi, well it depends on what works for you - personally, I feel my energy levels are much better with Tai Chi so I've stuck with that. Other people I know prefer yoga, pilates or other martial arts.

My advice, suck it and see - although I would say that you should give it more than 3 months - these things often take a little time to work their way in.
  • edited March 2006
    [cite] Little Dragon:[/cite]....you should give it more than 3 months - these things often take a little time to work their way in.
    Little Dragon has it right. I'd add that it takes at least 10 times that 3 months to just get a sense of the beginning, the first step. :) And, as always, 'what' we do is trivial compared to 'how' we do.

After a lifetime of yoga and Tai Chi, I'm still realizing what 'it' really does. 'It' is quite [chref=6]mysterious[/chref] and not well described with [chref=81]words[/chref]. One thing I can say, 'it' isn't out there...
  • edited December 1969
    as long as you're doing something, exercise-wise, youre ahead of the game...
  • edited December 1969
    btw, i take shoalin kempo-a mix of karate, kung fu, judo& jui jitsu, plus whatever the teachers have studied that week...the head of our schools master robert pearlswig is one of only 96 people in america officially certified at 8th degree black belt or above (and 69 of them live in florida, so we're really, really lucky)- i have my green stripe test tomorrow-im a lil behind the pace i should be at but its all good-and im a little nervous-but this month i've had people trying to rip everything that means anything to me away form me-my kid, my job,my freedom- that getting a lil piece of tape on my belt or not doesnt bother me a whole lot...what i really ned to do is meditate more-hell im thinking about going to a buddhist monastery, but if i cant do it here, i cant do it there...
  • edited December 1969
    I take Korean style TaeKwonDo (not ATA). I find it helps with mobility and fitness. We also practice HapKido
  • edited December 1969
    I never trip up when I practice Tai Mai Shu. :)
  • edited December 1969
    Uhh . . . Zing?
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Tao Nut,

I see you didn't read mine out loud. Tai Mai Shu...Get it? Please don't hurt yourself rolling on the floor in laughter. :D
  • edited December 1969
    taocow has it all: beauty, brains, and a sense of humor...