How can we be happy?

Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 38
A man of the highest virtue does not keep to virtue and that is why he has
virtue. A man of the lowest virtue never strays from virtue and that is why he
is without virtue. The former never acts yet leaves nothing undone. The latter
acts but there are things left undone. A man of the highest benevolence acts,
but from no ulterior motive. A man of the highest rectitude acts, but from
ulterior motive. A man most conversant in the rites acts, but when no one
responds rolls up his sleeves and resorts to persuation by force.

Hence when the way was lost there was virtue; when virtue was lost there was
benevolence; when benevolence was lost there was rectitude; when rectitude was
lost there were the rites.

The rites are the wearing thin of loyalty and good faith
And the beginning of disorder;
Foreknowledge is the flowery embellishment of the way
And the beginning of folly.

Hence the man of large mind abides in the thick not in the thin, in the fruit
not in the flower.

Therefore he discards the one and takes the other.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Imagine this:

Life is a boat, and Tao the river.

Some want to go through life literally drifting, while others choose to steer. Some let life take its course, accepting both the good and the bad, while others carefully steer clear of the rocks and algae.

In your opinion, is it wiser to simply drift or steer? In other words, can Tao be your rudder? :?
  • edited December 1969
    The analogy breaks down because there are rocks that are unavoidable. Take death, for instance. So, no matter what, you are going to smash against some rocks in life, steering or drifting.

I don't believe there is really anything like steering in life. You may think you're steering, but you are not actually in control at all. You can run from what you don't like and towards what you like--that's what we all do 24/7--but doing this keeps you caught in the wheel of unhappiness.

I think happiness increases as you accept that life will be good and bad, pleasure and suffering, happy and sad. Returning to The Tao will give you a basic ground of being from which you live your life.
  • edited December 1969
    Sometimes I steer. Sometimes I don't. I always seek to do both according to Tao.

For instance. Once I was meeting with opposition from my boss at work. I did a number of things to bring change. Nothing worked and thus nothing changed. Then I did nothing and things changed. I think I still needed to try to do something (steer).

After I let go of the situation it was fun to watch what would happen and did happen.

Yes death can be looked upon as a rock. In the spirit of Taoism death is life. Without death there would be no life. As a Taoist I welcome death for many reasons. It is a part of who we are. It is a part of Tao. We can steer away from death for a time but eventually we will strike it. Medicine steers from death and prolongs our lives for good I think. There are diminishing returns at some point.

I think we have some control. Understanding where to stop is what we must learn.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Einstein:[/cite]... is it wiser to simply drift or steer? In other words, can Tao be your rudder?
    "Drift or steer" are complimentary faces of the same reality, and so like [chref=2]something and nothing, produce each other[/chref]. Can Tao be a "rudder"? Tao is 'way'; [chref=34]the way is broad, reaching left as well as right[/chref]. In the sense, any 'way' is the 'right' direction. And, the 'right' direction [chref=58]changes again into the monstrous[/chref].

To me, your question conveys a sense of forward-ness, moving either by drifting (fate?) or steering (choice?). But, [chref=40]turning back is how the way moves[/chref]. Turning back is like [chref=69]rolling up one's sleeves when there is no arm[/chref]. This is easier than when there is an arm; 'turning back' is easier when you [chref=56]blunt[/chref] the biologically induced illusion of 'forward'.

Sorry for such a [chref=15]murky[/chref] answer. Alas, questions always trump answers. So keep asking away!
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]The analogy breaks down because there are rocks that are unavoidable. ...
    Life is a "rock" in the [chref=32]stream[/chref]. Thus, [chref=75]it is just because one has no use for life that one is wiser than the man who values life[/chref].
    [cite] TommyO:[/cite]... Understanding where to stop is what we must learn.
    Speaking of when to stop...
    [chref=32]Only when it is cut are there names. As soon as there are names, One ought to know that it is time to stop.[/chref] ... opps :oops:
  • edited December 1969
    (1st post) Hello. Im very new. Please dont think im speaking cos Im claiming to know... Im just very happy to be here.

Einstein, I wonder... why the boat?
    I realise you just said, "Imagine this: " but still...

Its easy to be fixated with our boat, the limited amount of control we think we have.
    I see the boat as the ego-consciousness, a necessary part of our minds.
    Its the separative, differentiating aspect, the language by which we are initially shown the world from infancy.
    Even though the world of "this and that" is only an illusion it is necessary for us to function in society
    (however artificial our society has now become)

I dont think the ego-consciousness is something we should try and conquer, as it has mutually arisen from the Tao, but from my experience it can be a case of beating it into submission.

But unless we can get out of the boat, (which because of the nature of the human mind we can only do temporarily)
    we will never be truly participating.

In a wonderful book I love called "The Tao of Abundance" Laurence G. Boldt makes a lovely comparison:
    If you struggle in water, it feels like the water is pulling you down.
    The water actually wants to hold you up.
    We must learn to float in what is (the Tao) - but floating is NOT swimming.
    Swimming is moving with intention whilst trusting and allowing the water to hold you up.

So... We cannot steer our boat, so i say Get out the boat, learn to float and then swim in what is.
  • edited December 1969
    Life is a "rock" in the stream.

Ain't that the truth! :lol:
    Thus, it is just because one has no use for life that one is wiser than the man who values life.

As I get older, I have less and less use for life. Does that sound depressing? It is not. It feels like the natural way to be; it feels pretty neutral. Not that I don't have emotions and moods, I just seem to care less about inventing a story to justify the moods and feelings; they will pass; so what? As Marge Simpson would say: "Big whoop!"
    As soon as there are names, One ought to know that it is time to stop. ... opps

That works too. As soon as you start naming (analyzing) your feelings, stop...
  • edited December 1969
    im floating along in the river just fine, and people start throwing rocks at me...what do i do now...?
  • edited December 1969
    it is not my intention to make any less of your situation.

the pain and suffering you experience are shortlived. the only ones they truly hurt are themselves. expose the truth to them.

-yr.k
  • edited December 1969
    totally interesting forum ... Hey everybody!! *waves hello*

I am new to the Tao. I like it. Not that the Tao would care whether I like it or not. There are, apparently, little use for value judgments in the Tao.

Which brings me to the conclusion ... perhaps all we need to do is realise that we are one with the Tao. Whether we realise it or not, we still are, but realisation brings contentment perhaps.