Why is Taoism Chinese?

Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother.

I recently became very depressed and left off on my meditation. I was reaching such a point of emptiness that I felt as though I was getting nowhere. Little did I know that I was on the verge of growth in my spiritual path. But I foolishly left off. Now I can bravely return. This verse now has new meaning for me.

comments?

Comments

• edited December 1969
    It was my observation, after living and traveling among Chinese folks for years, that Chinese people are real doers - practical and enterprising. The Chinese word for business, sheng-yi, really brought that home after I pondered the meaning of the two characters which form it.

sheng = give birth to; bear; grow; existence; life; livelihood; living; get; have; light; unripe; student;.

yi = meaning; idea; wish; desire; intention; anticipate; expect; suggestion; hint; trace.

It's even more interesting when you consider the radicals ('mini' characters) which are combined to form the character yi. Yi is compiled from yin (sound) and shin (mind, heart). So, idea, meaning, desire, etc., can be seen as 'sound in the mind / heart'. Interesting, eh?... but, I digress.

My years of experience in various cultures suggests to me that 'a people' (a culture) tends to adopt various 'norms' and 'myths' that counterbalance the extremes of their particular 'cultural personality' (which is held together by other 'norms' and 'myths') What is cultural personality? I notice that people have two personalities (1) an 'inner' private one I see more when I am with someone one on one, (2) a cultural personality that I see more when individuals are among 'their people'.)

The whole process of balance - counterbalance - balance - counterbalance - ... and so on, can be a little mind boggling when examined closely! Briefly, the existence of 'lows' to counterbalance the 'highs', and 'highs' to counterbalance the 'lows' is a driving principle of Nature - at least from the Taoist point of view :yy: . And thus, maybe the Taoist world view is the inevitable counterpoint to a culture of 'doers' (i.e., the Chinese cultural personality). America is a nation of doers, culturally obsessed with action. Thus, America may be very fertile ground for a Taoist point of view - in time. Who know? Historically (but especially prehistorically) speaking, we've only been here since yesterday. As 'a people', we may still be a bit :?
  • edited December 1969
    Man Yi
    Man-yi is another interesting Chinese word. It means satisfied. Now, before reading further, take a moment and define what satisfied means to you. What makes you feel satisfied in life, and so on?

Ready?

This word, man-yi, is two characters: man = full, yi = meaning (that is the same yi as above in the word sheng-yi). So, satisfied is 'full meaning'. Was that just what you thought?
  • edited December 1969
    Cantonese people use "zhong yi" to say, I like this. zhong= center or middle (almost like a bullseye in this case) and yi= the same as above.

Hao zhong yi - I like this very much.

But when, Carl? When? Rather than waiting for the "apocalypse" should we be waiting for "counterbalance" instead? :D
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Wen-zhong:[/cite]But when, Carl? When? Rather than waiting for the "apocalypse" should we be waiting for "counterbalance" instead? :D

That Cantonese zhong yi is also very full of meaning.

And soon, very soon... at least before the next millennium (3000AD). Though I think even sooner than that really. There may be an "apocalypse" or two on the path getting there though. In some ways we have been in one since 1900 or so, or has it been since 40,000BC? I don't know. I loss track of time these days. :?