The Genetic Side of Self Honesty

thanx lynn, i do appreciate your concern and comments-im just not a fan of aa and never will be-so many people are pushing me to take meds, go to more counseling, etc to deal with my current problems-im not a joiner, not a meddie-i mostly just think things out and talk or write to friends and consider any and all advice that comes my way-as long as theres a chance of getting anthony back in my life, i wont drink heavy again-he's never seen me drink and never will...and if he doesnt come back well, hopefully ill still find a better way to deal with life than the bottle...love to all B

Comments

• edited February 2006
    The difficulty we have with being self honest may be genetic. I suspect that we are biologically hardwired to act when we know (feel) something is 'bad', 'wrong', and 'problematic'. Thus, when we are truly self honest, we feel compelled to act, or refrain from action, accordingly. The advantage here is that all we need to do is honestly know (face) ourselves in order for 'proper' actions to follow naturally. It is so [chref=53]easy[/chref]; there is no need for 'free will'... :wink:

However, a real dilemma ensues when we are faced with an honest view that might compel us to act in a way contrary to our emotional needs and fears. The simplest solution - we don't face 'it'. Instead, we wrap ourselves in some rational - some ideology - which places the 'problem' over there, i.e., it's them! This is where the Taoist notion of doing [chref=48]less and less until one does nothing at all[/chref] comes in very handy. When we enter that path, we are set free, liberated, to see things as they are. We can afford to be self honest because we know we need to [chref=48]do nothing[/chref] about 'it'.

Probably the most difficult thing to face in ourselves is our area of 'weakness'. Everyone has an area of their life that can qualify as the 'weakest link'. However, endings are beginnings; life is a continuum with our 'weakness' linked to everything else - namely our 'strengths'. We are socially driven to hide our 'weaknesses' and showcase our 'strengths', which in the long run, runs only in circles. Embracing '[chref=40]weakness[/chref]' sure makes being self honest easier.
  • edited February 2006
    The following excerpt from an article Lynn sent me on aging may show why it is easier to be self honest as we grow older. This is why Lao Tzu 'wrote' the Tao Te Ching, and not 'Qing Tzu'. (Note: Lao Tzu = old man, Qing Tzu = young man)

Scientists have recently discovered through studies with PET scans and magnetic resonance imaging, that the brain's left and right hemispheres become better integrated as we age. Unlike young adults, who handle most tasks on one side of the brain or the other, older ones tend to use both hemispheres. Magnified tremendously, the brain of a mentally active 50-year-old looks like a dense forest of interlocking branches, and this density reflects both deeper knowledge and better judgment.

As our aging brains grow wiser and more flexible, they also tend toward greater equanimity. Our emotions are all rooted in a set of neural structures known collectively as the limbic system. Some of our strongest negative emotions originate in the amygdalae, a pair of almond-shaped limbic structures that sit near the center of the brain, screening sensory data for signs of trouble. At the first hint of a threat, the amygdalae fire off impulses that can change our behavior before our conscious, thinking brains have a chance to weigh in. That's why our hearts pound when strangers approach us on dark sidewalks?and why we often overreact to slights and annoyances. But the amygdalae seem to mellow with age. In brain-imaging studies, older adults show less evidence of fear, anger and hatred than young adults. Psychological studies confirm that impression, showing that older adults are less impulsive and less likely to dwell on their negative feelings.

TIPS:

* Exercise physically. Numerous studies have linked physical exercise to increased brainpower.

* Exercise mentally. The brain is like a muscle. Use it and it grows stronger.

* Achieve mastery. Research on aging has uncovered a key variable in mental health called "sense of control." From middle age onward, people who enjoy a sense of control and mastery stay healthier than those who don't. The possibilities for mastery are unlimited, ranging from playing a musical instrument to learning a new language to taking up painting or embroidery. Besides improving your outlook, the sense of accomplishment may also strengthen the immune system.

* Establish strong social networks. Countless studies have linked active social engagement to better mental and physical health.

As we've seen, our brain hardware is capable of adapting, growing and becoming more complex and integrated with age. As our brains mature and evolve, so do our knowledge, our emotions and our expressive abilities. In turn, what we do with those abilities affects the brain itself, forging the new connections and constellations needed for further psychological growth. This realization should embolden anyone entering the later phases of life.

And so that puts yet another nail in the coffin of free will... :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]And so that puts yet another nail in the coffin of free will... :wink:

I don't trust science when it is used to draw a definitive conclusion; especially when it is used to support a political or philisophical position.

The only science I am interested in is that which enables me to follow a process that is reproducible and accomplishes something I find useful.

Everything else is voodoo.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]
    1) ... I don't trust science when it is used to draw a definitive conclusion; especially when it is used to support a political or philosophical position.

2) ... The only science I am interested in is that which enables me to follow a process that is reproducible and accomplishes something I find useful.
    (1) Re the political,... I understand. After all, politics is just a civilized manifestation of the tribal instinct. So we easily pick and choose the science to support that bias. The same is a little less true of the philosophical side of life, if only because this side is less emotionally loaded and instinct driven. Except, of course, when we use our philosophical ponderings to back up our political bias.

Anyway, doesn't your objection apply to every possible way we get 'input'. We tend to 'see' what we 'need' to see, and ignore (are blind to) to that which is at odds with our 'needs' and 'fears'. Nevertheless, the discipline that science brings to observation can put some distance between what I 'see' and what I 'need'. Of course, that is also the problem with science. It is unable to 'appreciate' the unseen...

[chref=4]Darkly visible, it only seems as if it were there.
    I know not whose son it is.
    It images the forefather of God. [/chref]

But, then I don't expect it to. Finally, whether we use science (or any other input) to bust our biases, or support our biases depends on whether we seek to 'open our box' a bit more, or 'close our box' still tighter.

(2) But, aren't those "TIP" useful?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]
    1) The same is a little less true of the philosophical side of life, if only because this side is less emotionally loaded and instinct driven. Except, of course, when we use our philosophical ponderings to back up our political bias.

2) Doesn't your objection apply to every possible way we get 'input'. We tend to 'see' what we 'need' to see, and ignore (are blind to) to that which is at odds with our 'needs' and 'fears'. Nevertheless, the discipline that science brings to observation can put some distance between what I 'see' and what I 'need'. Of course, that is also the problem with science. It is unable to 'appreciate' the unseen...

1) Some people get pretty emotional about their philosophy, too. Or, pretty attached to it being the way they say. I know I have at times.

2) Yes. I think we draw conclusions way beyond what the evidence suggests. We can measure brain activity and look at the differences between a young and an old brain. What it means, we have no way to know for sure. But if we can detect certain brain activity that precedes a seizure and then apply a treatment to prevent the seizure, now that is useful. We don't even have to know what the activity is. As long as the process is predictable and repeatable.

There was a day I would have argued with you about free-will. Now, I know neither of us can be certain and it doesn't matter to me which, if either of us, is correct. There is something to be had by standing in the position that we have free-will. It might be at the expense of what there is to be had by standing in the position that we have no free-will. Both are just positions from which we live. Both get you a certain kind of life.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]
    1) ... Some people get pretty emotional about their philosophy...
    2) ...We can measure brain activity and look at the differences between a young and an old brain. What it means, we have no way to know for sure.
    3) ... There was a day I would have argued with you about free-will. Now, I know neither of us can be certain and it doesn't matter to me which, if either of us, is correct.
    Hey Topher, you?re really on a roll here! Is it the warm summery weather? :)

1) I suspect that emotion charged philosophy originates in the social / tribal instinct. 'Cool' or neutral philosophy on the other hand only show up when emotions are neutral.

2) Having had a young brain and now moving into an old brain, I can tell you the difference is profound. Many older brains would concur I think. So, the observed differences noted in the article are probably more interesting to those who have experienced the transition. Of course, science is useless in ?knowing what it all means?, for meaning in the deepest sense is always and only subjective.

3) The point is not to be "certain" about the existence of free will. I simply have attempted to find some evidence of it, and have always come up empty. No one has offered me anything credible either. It is a little like the UFOs which visit earth. Ok, show me some evidence. Until I see some, I?m not going to put much weight to the reality of their existence.

On the other hand, I have observed a rather massive amount of evidence as to why people want to believe in UFO?s, ghosts, and free will. It becomes somewhat obvious when you start to look at things from a ?symptomatic? point of view. As a [chref=21] means for inspecting the fathers of the multitude[/chref] this approach is similar to that other no brainer, ?follow the money?.

Whether or not it ?matters? depends on whether or not self deception is an advantage in life or not. I personally have found self honesty to be more helpful over the long haul. Though, self honesty can be a little scary at time I must admit. :shock:
  • edited December 1969
    That all sounds good to me.

I would only emphasize that, as far as human beings can tell, the only difference between someone that believes in free-will and someone that believes there is no free-will is the kind of life they have.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]... the only difference between someone that believes in free-will and someone that believes there is no free-will...
    Maybe a better way to describe what I'm getting at is to contrast "someone that believes in" with someone that believes 'out'. It is not about whether one believes there is or believes there isn't free will. Both are beliefs; both serves as mental fortresses. The more we confine our mind with the walls of belief, the more we 'protect' our mind's receptivity to sensing [chref=1]mystery upon mystery[/chref]. Indeed, that is why I imagine that we 'need' to believe in something - pro or con - to shield our mind from the [chref=25]silent and void[/chref]. Perhaps we can only endure feeling just so much of [chref=14]the shape that has no shape[/chref] before we begin to go nuts? :shock:

However, I suspect that the real driving force behind belief is social. The beliefs we share with others serves the same role as wearing clothing in the same style, i.e., it is easier to feel trust in those who dress like us. This is all the more so if we all eat the same food, like the same music, and share the same beliefs (especially political and religious) - birds of a paradigm flock together. The tribal instinct is so pervasive and drives our lives so thoroughly we don't even realize the extent of its influence. When I see how deeply it permeates human existence, it makes the whole notion of free will quite poignant - with a little humor and irony thrown in to boot. :)
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]I suspect that the real driving force behind belief is social. The beliefs we share with others serves the same role as wearing clothing in the same style, i.e., it is easier to feel trust in those who dress like us.

I can see how it is social. It is a lot easier to go out to dinner with people that have similar tastes in food. Another thing I thought of is that people with a different diet often "smell" funny. Like meat eaters don't necessarily smell to each other but to vegetarians, I understand we do. Or people that use spices that are different than what I am accustomed to, have an odor that I don't really like. So it could be something as basic as this that has us prefer to be with people similar to ourselves.

I also see that we feel the need to be able to predict and rely on the behavior of others. Mostly, I think, we use laws and religion to homogenize society for that purpose.