Technology

edited November 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
Welcome TommyO,

You said in your profile, ?I find the establishment of such a group to be a difficult task for numerous reasons?. Ha! Yes indeed, although for me it was not as difficult to establish as it was to keep it ?thriving?. True,... I'm not a charismatic people magnet. Nevertheless, I?ve come to realize that very very few people have any true ?curiosity? or interest in what the Taoist worldview implies. Thus, I now really appreciate the reality spoken to in Chapter 70, [chref=70]My words are very easy to understand and very easy to put into practice, yet no one in the world can understand them or put them into practice.[/chref] (Of course, I?m not referring to myself when this chapter say ?My? and ?me?.)

Why so few? I suspect because the Taoist worldview is often at odds with human instinct. The perspective that instinct (emotion) induces in us is often not in accord with reality, but rather simply nature?s [chref=65]hoodwink[/chref] on us. Instinct drives us (and all animals) to approach life in a way that ?stirs? the evolutionary pot, not to perceive ?things? as they truly are. I see the Tao Te Ching as a concise attempt to point to ?things? more as they truly may be, e.g., ?the meek shall inherit the earth?, or [chref=61]The female always gets the better of the male by stillness.[/chref]
[cite] TommyO:[/cite]... I love the Tao Te Ching. I read it regularly, meditate upon it and quote it to myself often...
So, here we are as a group on this site making do. Me in California, you in Wisconsin, Joe in Iowa, Ron in New York, Mike in Massachusetts, Little Dragon in England, and most recently Brianimal in England (I love the name)... and so on from all over the place. We should have a convention someday! Anyway, welcome again! :)

PS: One thing we never do in our Taoist meetings locally is pay much attention to social 'light stuff' (tea anyone?), like other religious groups may. Our meetings are really simple: just a time to be quiet, and a time to reflect and comment on the Tao Te Ching. Another factor here may also be that people in this country who are content with such simplicity and depth are already following such a path via Christianity, or another of the more established religions.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I recently read a story in Zhuangzi which told of a gardener who shunned the use of technology for gathering the water needed to water his garden. I recently discovered Taoism and am struggling in my attempts to apply it to today's day and age. How do Taoists view technology? Should I, for example, retire my microwave?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Einstein:[/cite].... How do Taoists view technology? .... Should I, for example, retire my microwave?
    First, welcome Einstein... :)

Taoists, at least this one, are more concerned with attitude than [chref=63]action[/chref], approach than accomplishment. Of course, this Taoist view falls a little flat in a world 'addicted' to [chref=41]accomplishing[/chref] its virtuous agendas.

Technology, whether it is a stone axe or your microwave, is technology. In and of itself, technology is neither helpful nor [chref=73]harmful[/chref]; these are generated by the user's attitude and approach. It is in our lunging and grasping that we shoot ourselves in the foot. Thus, [chref=46]contentment[/chref] lies more in [chref=40]turning back[/chref] than lunging forward. Turning back in attitude, not tossing out your microwave and returning to the cave.
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you for your insight. :D

Perhaps the words which stuck with me most: Approach over accomplishment.

After further discovery, I have found that I've been practicing Taoism for a better part of my life. With the help of more experienced followers, I believe Taoism will become the foundation on which I will live the rest of my years. I look forward to learning further, both on my own and with this site's assistance.

Thank You again for your response.