Chapter of the Week: #17 [Archive]

I think a definition of terms is useful here. (I say tomato, you say tomatto)

I define religion as a belief system of our origins and a guide for life. I think this is a very different idea from what most people think of when the word "religion" is said.

But in the context that I have defined, yes Taoism can be viewed as a religion.

Origins. I submit:

The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things. TTC42

All things arise from Tao. TTC51

Tao is the source of the ten thousand things. TTC62

Guidance, I submit:

Therefore the sage goes about doing nothing,
teaching no-talking. TTC2

In the beginning those who knew the Tao did not try to enlighten others,
TTC65 (but now they do?)

The wise therefore rule by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies,
by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones.
If men lack knowledge and desire, then clever people
will not try to interfere.
If nothing is done, then all will be well. TTC3 (Does this statement not give us a way to live our lives? There are many more examples like this in the Tao Te Ching)

And you stated, "it doesn't talk about an afterlife"

I submit:

I do not know from whence it comes.
It is the forefather of the gods. TTC4 (Doesn't this speak of eternity?)

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 17 was originally featured on the 4th week in November, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 17
    The best of all rulers is but a shadowy presence to his subjects.
    Next comes the ruler they love and praise;
    Next comes one they fear;
    Next comes one with whom they take liberties.

When there is not enough faith, there is lack of good faith.

Hesitant, he does not utter words lightly.
    When his task is accomplished and his work done
    The people all say, 'It happened to us naturally.'
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

My son Kyle had a novel interpretation on the ruler part of this chapter. He noted how people make God a ruler in these various ways - Some folks love and praise God, some fear God. He was a little puzzled on how people might take liberties with God. Cursing might be one way? Anyway, 'but a shadowy presence to his subjects' sure fits the Taoist outlook on [chref=4]God[/chref].

The best of all rulers is but a shadowy presence to his subjects has been one of my prime models for raising my sons. The other three 'next comes' all have unpleasant consequences. In the governing of a family[chref=8] it is order that matters[/chref], and so the worst is one with whom they take liberties.

Faith is one of the hardest words to define. I correlate it to connection. When I feel disconnected I lack faith. When I am disconnected from my moment I do things 'half ass'. I live life 'half ass'. I take [chref=53]by-paths[/chref] with the intention of just 'getting by'. Only when [chref=16]I do my utmost to attain emptiness and hold firmly to stillness[/chref] am I capable of feeling completely connected in my moment - of having enough faith. Am I always so connected? No! Does it matter? No! All that matters is knowing the direction in which to head - to [chref=43]know the teaching that uses no words, the benefit of resorting to no action[/chref] is enough. After all, I'm only a [chref=39]'hapless' [/chref] little animal. All I need do is muster up the courage to [chref=61]take the lower position[/chref] and let it happened to me naturally. Mmmm, this reminds me of Jesus's "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin... etc".

Hesitant, he does not utter words lightly. Ok, so do I just vow to be hesitant and not utter words lightly? I've found that such 'renunciation' doesn't work any better than [chref=10]resorting to action[/chref]. It all seems to boil down to letting the buck stop here, facing the music, and being self honest with what I deeply want out of life. That's it. It is [chref=64]easy[/chref] as pie when I have [chref=19]little thought of self and as few desires as possible[/chref]. The joy of this approach is that I don't have to succeed. I neither have to act nor refrain from action. I don't have to be 'good', 'better, or heaven forbid, 'perfect'. All I 'must' do is be brave enough to be self honest. Such self integrity is its own reward!