Chapter of the Week: #14 [Archive]

Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 21 was originally featured on the 4th week in December, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 21
In his every movement a man of great virtue
Follows the way and the way only.

As a thing the way is
Shadowy, indistinct.
Indistinct and shadowy,
Yet within it is an image;
Shadowy and indistinct,
Yet within it is an essence.
This essence is quite genuine
And within it is something that can be tested.

From the present back to antiquity
Its name never deserted it.
It serves as a means for inspecting the fathers of the multitude.

How do I know that the fathers of the multitude are like that?
By means of this.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 14 was originally featured on the 1st week in November, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 14
    What cannot be seen is called evanescent;
    What cannot be heard is called rarefied;
    What cannot be touched is called minute.

These three cannot be fathomed
    And so they are confused and looked upon as one.

Its upper part is not dazzling;
    Its lower part is not obscure.
    Dimly visible, it cannot be named
    And returns to that which is without substance.
    This is called the shape that has no shape,
    The image that is without substance.
    This is called indistinct and shadowy.
    Go up to it and you will not see its head;
    Follow behind it and you will not see its rear.

Hold fast to the way of antiquity
    In order to keep in control the realm of today.
    The ability to know the beginning of antiquity
    Is called the thread running through the way.
  • edited December 1969
    The more you clutch at it - the more it slips through your hands. Our human tendency to try and pin things down, to establish 'facts', to define the arguments, gets in the way of this verse. We need to accept that sometimes there are things that are beyond definition, boundaries, comfortable assumptions.

The only problem I have with this chapter is the last verse, which always strikes me as an influence from the 'dessicated confusionists' (with thanks to Benjamin Hoff). It is fairly generally accepted that there is more than one hand involved in the writing of the TTC over a fairly long period, and there are a number of influences on what has finally appeared in the version of the TTC that we read today.

The phrase of 'Hold fast to the way of antiquity' really strikes me as something that the confusionists would say.
  • edited December 1969
    The feeling I had about the last verse was one of comfort, that something is constant. What I think it means by "the thread running through the way" is that the thread of contancy in antiquity IS The Way shining through. The way is the only constant.

Death, taxes and the way, eh?
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

I've always had a problem with 'so they are confused and looked upon as one'. I've felt that this wording conveyed some sort of 'problem', i.e., they 'shouldn't' be confused and looked upon as one. I just realized on Sunday another way to feel this. For example, 'what cannot be seen, heard or touched, cannot be fathomed, and so are looked upon as [chref=39]One[/chref]' (and rightfully so!).

Its upper part is not dazzling; Its lower part is not obscure reflects how our senses perceive 'reality'... life. Not only our senses, but how all life 'sees' its circumstances. And yet, what is the substance of perception? There really is none! Ahhhh! Reality is the shape that has no shape, the image that is without substance. Of course, we can't stand that, and so we pigeon hole perception into [chref=32] names[/chref]. Our mind cannot allow reality to remain [chref=21]indistinct and shadowy[/chref]. Now that is useful to get around and survive in life... but we end up believing that [chref=1]the name that can be named[/chref] is real. When I [chref=37]remain still[/chref] and look for the image that is without substance, my life feels more sane and simple. Mmmm... Well, at least I know what I'm looking for! And that helps a lot, even if I am too flustered to see.

Holding fast to the way of antiquity helps counter-balance my tendency to hold fast to the transient worldly 'crap' of life, as well as my desire to leap forward to an idealized future. Without a healthy degree of such counter-balance it's impossible to keep in control the realm of today. Easier said than done, eh? Again, it really helps me to know in which direction to look. [chref=40]Turning back[/chref] helps me to know the beginning of antiquity. Looking for [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref] helps me feel the thread running through the way.

Speaking of the thread running through the way, over the years I've noticed how profoundly connected the seemingly disparate aspects of life really are. It is subtle and my senses are drawn initially to the differences, yet eventually I begin to see the thread connecting it all. The thread running through the way feels like eternity more than any other string of words I've come across.