A Taoist View Vis-a-vis Evil

I don't know if you guys heard, but there will not be a Nativity sence at the White House this year.
They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin in Washington.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Taoism is the antithesis of a 'Ten Commandments' approach to life. I suspect that this is what makes the Taoist point of view so puzzling to some. To others it is unsettling, which is why I suppose that [chref=41]when the worst student hears about the way, he laughs out loud,[/chref] i.e., laughter releases nervous tension - fear. The following exchange between Mike (a 'best student' it appears :) ) and me probes Taoism's moral point of view - or rather lack of it. It began with the following question:

PART ONE
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]The one part of the Tao Te Ching that seems to resonate with me is the "is" versus good/bad phenomenon that we've discussed. I have a question that I'd appreciate your insight on regarding this...

What about child molesters? I struggle with accepting behavior that is to me unnatural and evil. In a pure Taoist view, are we to accept this behavior as we do lying, the lion killing a gazelle, or a hurricane? Does the pedofile get the same treatment as the saint? Does the Tao allow for unnatural behavior, or is all behavior by definition natural?

The beginnings of an answer:
    In the Taoist view, all the above are natural phenomena, so yes, "all behavior by definition is natural". Who cares about the child molesters? Humans do, not hurricanes, gazelles or lions. Why? First let me say that 'why' - curiosity - follows me like my shadow. I find my curiosity resolves best when I regard my every observation as a symptom of something deeper. This approach plunges me into deeper curiosity until I reach 'mysterious sameness' and silence. where, ironically, the question becomes the answer.

Back to your "struggle": We care about molesters because we 'identify' with the molester and the molested. Something the butterfly or lion don't do, and thus don't care. Our feelings on this matter arise from our social instinct (empathy, here), our well developed illusion of self (ego), and our minds ability to 'project' it. Much of the "struggle" we feel over such distasteful "evil" is driven by our belief that we freely choose to be the way we are.

What is, is a symptom:
    So, lets look at it from a symptomatic point of view and see if that feels any better. Consider for a moment that all life is helplessly driven to do what it does. After all, [chref=40]Weakness is the means the way employs[/chref]! Thus, a molester is helplessly driven to molest. Why, in particular, he is driven to that particular action is as difficult to know as why one 'chooses' to collect coins, for example. The ways of civilized man are myriad, but they all share common origins. Let's look there.

First we all share a deep psychological sense of disconnection from what 'is', thanks to our brain's mind. Secondly, civilization has removed the deep sense of social connection we felt as tribal animals during the 100,000+ years of our pre agriculture existence.

The deeper our sense of personal and social disconnection is, the more noticeable the symptoms of that will be. We will struggle desperately to reconnect. The paths we 'choose' are myriad, as I said, but the obsession and passion is singular and common to us all. Many 'choose' sex as a way to feel reconnected, at least momentarily. Sex is, in the last analysis, driven by the 'need' to connect. The molester is simply this, taken to an extreme. The more disconnected one feels, the more likely extreme behavior, sexual or otherwise (drinking, working, writing, shopping,... you name it) will occur. When does 'behavior' become extreme? There is no fixed line over which to cross. A women going around bare-faced in some Muslim areas is as 'over the line' as a bare-breasted one going around in the West.

Again, the circumstances of civilized life (esp., technology and agriculture) have the unintended consequence of leaving us feel deeply disconnected from Nature. The more wealth, the more disconnected. The more technology, the more disconnected. This has been a 'problem' since the stone ax. The Industrial age just upped the ante.

A step in the right direction:
    Of course none of us wants to consider our comfortable and secure way of life as one root cause of our problem. Why is this so difficult to face? I suspect that we are instinctively driven to 'solve' problems, which here would appear to mean that we 'need' to eliminate comfort and security, and disband civilization. Ahhhhh! So, we put our head in the sand and/or seek scape goats. This is yet one more instinct we need to 'see beyond' in order to see things as they are. In fact, simply and honestly recognizing how things are would actually help us deal with how things are. We would look back and see that [chref=17]it happened to us naturally[/chref]. (Alas, affixing blame and exterminating the cause is so much more emotionally satisfying and pro-active.)

A final 'solution':
    If one is content and emotionally balanced (i.e., a sense of 'eternal' connection), one's actions will tend to reflect that. The descriptions of the sage in the Tao Te Ching describe that situation. If one feels discontent and emotionally skewed, one's actions and attitudes will reflect that, e.g., Hitler, serial killers, lairs, molesters, ... all the way down to the more mundane and common 'sins' like hypocrisy, dishonesty, bragging, cheating, carelessness and whatever.

Oh, and as for the molester, there is nothing else we can do but put him in jail, at least until we find another way. But, we can do this with understanding instead of ignorance and hypocritical finger pointing. If any emotion is called for, it would be one of pity and sorrow for the deep fracture existing within the psyche of the molester - and, indeed, within us all to one degree or another. As the Christians say, we are all sinners. But, let us not stop there. We 'sin' because we feel disconnected from the [chref=39]the One[/chref]. Most importantly, no one freely chooses to feel disconnected from the [chref=39]the One[/chref]. Yes, indeed, free choice is another myth we could benefit without.

When we can see our species as simply a simple animal that has, over time, gotten a bit 'ahead of itself', life becomes a lot less perplexing - though our sense of 'sorrow' remains. Life is work. Death is rest. In the realm of life, we are driven by instinct. This, along with our [chref=51]circumstances [/chref], makes life what it is. How we fee about life depends on how [chref=46]content[/chref] we are able to feel with this, with Nature... life and death, now and eternity. [chref=33]Contentment [/chref] increases as we sense the '[chref=56]mysterious sameness [/chref]' between these. Taoism attempts to point the way; it is up to us to trod the path. How easy this [chref=64]journey[/chref] is depends on how readily we can let go of that to which we cling.

PART TWO
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] So, the lion on the plain protects his pride not out of love, but instinct. He does not hate a marauding hyena, he fights (and maybe kills) it as an instinctive response to protect. Thus, if I accept that the pedophile (for simplicity I'll use this example, understanding that we could substitute Hitler, or terrorists, or whatever ?.) does not choose his actions, that he does what he does out of an uncontrollable need, I can appreciate that this behavior just is, and I accept that he is neither evil or good, he just does what he needs to do.

While the butterfly and lion do not care, people do. As you point out, we have consciousness.

Oops... not that we have consciousness. Rather our consciousness is instinctively biased toward our 'own kind' (naturally). A bear protects its cubs, an ant protects its larva. All life is conscious - the human, the bear, the ant, the virus - if we broaden the definition of consciousness beyond the faculty of human thought. Indeed, from a Taoist viewpoint, thought is less conscious than silence (thought being the shadow of 'reality' that it is). Also, I suspect, one's definition of consciousness reflects how broad and deep one's consciousness is. Our preconceptions are trees in consciousness which easily obstruct our view of the forest of consciousness.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]While I accept that many, many of our filters and responses are a byproduct of social paradigms, I'm not sure that this completely explains our reaction to the pedophile.

Our reaction to the pedophile is rooted in need and fear. The extremes to which this emotion is directed towards a pedophile is a byproduct of the American social paradigm (remember the ancient Greek paradigm). We are especially obsessed, neurotic and hypocritical around sex. Why? I think is may be connected to our own personal sense of 'individuality' (i.e., social disconnection), but that's just a guess. It seems that every culture has its own neurotic obsession, so I suspect that the root cause is ancient - back 50,000 years maybe, though certainly exasperated by the 'art' of civilization. The "filters" as you call them are 'cultural tastes' - [chref=57]taboos[/chref] - that ebb and flow over time. That they exert so much influence over people goes to show (1) how social we are, and (2) how insecure we are, because we are disconnected from Nature (the [chref=16]constant[/chref]). Of course these two are connected, i.e., the social instinct uses 'fear' to keep us alert to its 'needs'.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]To me, I can look at that behavior and say "How sorry that he is so out of balance that he is driven to such behavior." I can also say "The harm he does others --- helpless children --- will create so many more being out of balance. Nature is better off that he is not free to create such disharmony." I can then behave in a way that prevents him from creating more out of balance beings. At the extreme, I could kill him and be in balance myself, if such an act was done unemotionally and out of an instinct to protect and maintain harmony. No social constraints, no hatred, just the observation that 'nature' is more in balance without so many more people being driven out of balance by the behavior of another. As Mr. Spock would say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."

First, nothing can be done unemotionally because emotion drives action. Need and fear provide our motivation to act. Without their energy we remain [chref=37]still[/chref].

It is still morality, rationalized to appear neutral. Spock is [chref=38]a man of the lowest virtue (who) never strays from virtue[/chref]. No offense to Spock. Spock's view perfectly reflects our social instinct which is rooted in emotion. Here his cold sounding logic merely masks the emotion. The point is, we tend to rationalize our needs into virtues, as Spock does here. It only sounds convincing if we identify with "the many". Then, it just gives us the excuse we 'need' to champion our personal agenda. Mind you I'm not saying this is 'bad'... nor 'good'. It is what it is - a way of coping with life.

In the larger view, Nature is always balanced. It cannot be otherwise. It is our views which make us FEEL out of balance, especially when we have an agenda, i.e., [chref=1]desires[/chref] / needs driving us to some end. For the molester that would be to molest. For the protector, that would be to rid the environment of the molester. When you feel desire, you feel out of balance and are driven to satiate that desire. That is how biology 'hoodwinks' us into jumping through the hoops we do. [chref=64]Therefore the sage desires not to desire [/chref]. The source of our sorrows are our pleasures. No way around that.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]We, as sentient animals, even without social considerations, are social animals --- we are driven instinctively to run in packs. We (at least I) are also driven to react to any force that is destructive to the pack. Given that such a reaction is truly instinctive, and I am not rationalizing an emotion, it is not inconsistent with a Taoist perspective.

No, I think not. [chref=73]Heaven hates what it hates, Who knows the reason why? Therefore even the sage treats some things as difficult. [/chref]

PART THREE
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] "Oops - All life is conscious."... Yup, I acknowledge the error in expressing that. I do appreciate that all life has consciousness. "Sentience" is perhaps a better word ?.. and it raises the question, does the Taoist view assume that all life can reason? Does the lion not care about the hyena because he is incapable, or because he has transcended such needs? Does this mean that our 'caring' for things is a byproduct of social constructs vs. an advanced intellectual capability?

Sentience is consciousness. Our brain's mind ability to 'chop up' reality into categories empowers memory - past, present, future. This singular survival advantage enables us to manipulate things to satiate our need for comfort and security - bypassing Nature's [chref=4]old rut[/chref]. But, all this, as well as our 'caring' is based in instinct, not 'consciousness' per se. We are not as 'conscious' as we think we are. In fact, our 'chopping up' which enables thought impedes awareness of [chref=10]the One[/chref]. Moreover, whatever reasoned thought we experience is, at its base, driven by emotion. Advanced intellectual capability? A myth that enhances our standing in creation, by a creature - us - who is terribly insecure of it 'self' standing in creation. Remember, ponder what you think you see as symptoms of deeper causes, not ends in themselves.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] "Our reaction to the pedophile is rooted in need and fear."... Okay. I get this at least intellectually ?.I do need to let it 'cook' for a while, but it makes sense despite how it evokes a deep distaste in me. I recognize that this distaste may simply be a byproduct of social paradigm, and fear, and need. So, I repeat the question above in a different way: as creatures with the ability to be self-analytical, and ones who were raised by and live in a society chock full of paradigms, when we respond to a social instinct (like your satisfaction in being helpful) is that any different than the lion rolling in the grass? I mean, we are what we are ?? even if we strive to 'have balance' how can we not respond to social paradigms, both consciously and subconsciously? Every day at work I consciously behave in ways that I don't necessarily believe in, because society would expel me if I didn't ?.then feeding my kids would be tough (and they eat a lot ?.), So, continuing the hypothetical example, if I react to the pedophile out of subconscious need and fear, I'm protecting, just like the lion protects, and we each do so driven by needs that pass through whatever intellectual abilities we have ???.

That sounds about right. But to repeat... emotions rule, 'thought' whether as we experience it, or as an ant experiences it, is a byproduct of that more fundamental motivation - emotion. In particular, 'thinking' is the smoke rising from the fire of the emotions. The struggle we have in life stems in large measure because we 'believe' we are in control. We 'think' we are, where actually we wish we were and want to be. The only issue for any life form is whether it is content or not, balanced or not. For us, the question is whether our approach to life goes toward or away from balance. If it is away from balance, it is a [chref=53]by-path[/chref], leading us around in futile circles.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] We, as sentient animals, even without social considerations, are social animals --- we are driven instinctively to run in packs. We (at least I) are also driven to react to any force that is destructive to the pack. Given that such a reaction is truly instinctive, and I am not rationalizing an emotion, it is not inconsistent with a Taoist perspective.

No, it is not inconsistent. The issue is, do we then make emotional matters more painful by how we think life 'should' be? Again, [chref=73]"Heaven hates what it hates, Who knows the reason why? Therefore even the sage treats some things as difficult".[/chref]
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]So, if I strive to accept those who evoke these strong emotions, and I appreciate that they do what they do out of need, and I strive for stillness, then even when I react, I'm doing what I am programmed to do. (my English teachers would be ashamed of that sentence ?.) I can't help it. Is that the point?

No no no. No striving required. No struggle needed. Simply [chref=40]turn back[/chref] and examine your need to struggle as a symptom of something deeper within you. The emotions we feel simply reflect who we are and nothing about the object of those emotions. Yet, we are instinctively 'object oriented' and so have great difficulty seeing this. Yet, it is only by looking within that we can come to terms with the 'source' of that with which we [chref=8]contend[/chref]. The emotion is symptomatic of a futile struggle - if it is felt any time other than when directly facing the stimuli, i.e., a lion or a molester chasing your kids. By lugging around ideals, we constantly [chref=22]contend[/chref] with what 'is'. By the way, this sounds like an extreme pacifist path to many. Not so. It is, rather, a path of extreme spontaneity where you [chref=64]deal with[/chref] the real, not with the ideal... with how things are, not how you [chref=19]desire[/chref] them to be.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]Well, I've got to tell you --- using convenient, socially derived terms ---- I'm straining harder on some of these concepts than I did over the course of earning 3 college degrees. Of course, this subject matter is harder ?..and easier ?.

I think the difficulty lies in that we are actually [chref=20]alone[/chref] - really on our own. We have to resolve 'it' within ourselves. With culture based learning, on the other hand, all we need to do is learn the paradigm. While that can be a real struggle, it is still all 'out there' in black and white. Here, you are leaving the comfort of the paradigm and jumping into Nothing, where 'black and white produce each other'. Of course, the difficulty really lies in how desperately we cling to our 'baggage'. It is as easy as dropping it - and as difficult as dropping it. Our emotional stake in each piece of baggage determines which. Feeling that I can't take it (my 'baggage') with me helps drop a lot.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] It's funny how some emotions are so easy to let go, and others very hard. I seem to have a more difficult time with the "unpleasant" ones ?.letting them go, that is. You have me thinking hard about why I seem to be rationalizing hate ?.

I don't see that we can deliberately "let go of emotions". They hold us. The stronger ones hold us all the more strongly. Hate / anger are among the strongest. We can 'think about' letting go, fantasize about letting go, talk about letting go... but? In a way, letting go happens naturally when we [chref=19]have something (else) to which we can attach ourselves[/chref]. Taoism is a little [chref=15]murky and falling apart[/chref] at first, but holding 'it' doesn't spawn unintended consequences as does holding on to anything [chref=12]hard to come by[/chref]. Maybe that is because, as Taoists, we basically hold onto [chref=67]nothing[/chref]. Which also explains why there are so few Taoists.
    [cite] Mike:[/cite] I stopped taking any type of pain killers a few years back, so I could experience pain not as a bad experience, but just an experience. That was easier for me than saying "Gee, I feel bad for the poor pedophile. How out of balance he must be and what a pity it is." I understand the wisdom of that and your points above, and intellectually, it resonates. Emotionally, I can't seem to let go of the hatred I feel for those (and a handful of other) behaviors. I know without a doubt that I could take the life of anyone who even tried to hurt my children, and I could sleep like a baby that same night. While social construct suggests that this is quite normal --- maybe even appropriate to some ---- it seems inconsistent with the Taoist mind-set that makes so much sense to me. I don't want to stop hating pedophiles, and terrorists, and rapists ??why that is seems to be the question that would be enlightening to me.

First, you may see why Taoism holds "intellectual understanding" is such low esteem.

Next, killing something is not inconsistent with the Taoist "mind-set". It is not in our deeds, but rather in our [chref=16]ignorance of the constant[/chref] that we loose [chref=38]the way[/chref]. Our aversion to killing, or our attraction to killing, simple reflect our own desires (need and fear) at the moment. The same applies to all life. Understanding and yet not being able to [chref=70]put it into practice[/chref]' is a universal difficulty. The Taoist "mind-set" leaves the 'normal' behind and [chref=14]returns to that which is without substance [/chref]. The closer we get to [chref=2]Nothing[/chref], the less unique and important any Something will feel. But, we can't struggle our way here. On the other hand, we must struggle, for this is part of the whole. After all, [chref=36]if you would have a thing weakened, you must first strengthen it[/chref]. I regard this as one of the most sanity enabling views in Taoism, i.e., three cheers for making 'mistakes'. Our expectation of perfection is one of the more obvious symptoms of our disconnect from Nature. From the Taoist point of view...

[chref=41]Ample virtue seems defective;
    Vigorous virtue seems indolent;
    Plain virtue seems soiled; [/chref]

The answer to why you don't want to stop hating is within you. No words can 'answer it'. That is why I find it useful to regard every thing I experience as simply a symptom of something deeper. That means (1) seeing my reactions to what I am experiencing as symptomatic of something within me, and (2) seeing 'that such-ness out there' as a symptom of something deeper within it. Thus, I look [chref=41]backward[/chref] and inward tracing symptoms and causes until I find balance. This keeps life [chref=21]indistinct and shadowy[/chref] enough to help me see life [chref=24]from the point of view of the way[/chref].
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]I learn best by both dialogue and retrospection ?. I need to re-read some of the chapters you reference and ponder them a bit ?.

Reading, pondering. watching and finally integrating (i.e., confirming through personal experience) is the way that works for me. It is gradual and life long, but unfolds naturally if we [chref=33]persevere[/chref] and are self-honest. The biggest roadblock we face is self-deception. Our emotions tend to guide our thought in directions that support those emotions. To 'think' outside our emotional agenda 'box' is not naturally appealing. But, if you are willing, it is [chref=53]easy[/chref]!
    [cite] Mike:[/cite]"Ok, how are we doing?"... To answer your question, I'm still with you, and I am straining in some places to keep up, but I'm keeping up. I think.

In 5 years of experiencing Taoism, I've not experienced anyone who has the depth of thought in the subject as you have. My use of the honorific 'Sensei' on my last note perfectly reflects the value I perceive from this interaction. While expressing my thanks seems much more superficial than the appreciation I feel, I guess it --- and learning "well" --- is all I can do right now. If at any point you decide to write me off as a philistine ?or psycho ?or idiot, please do so. I understand. Alternatively, know that in the meantime you are helping me pursue my own growth and balance in a very meaningful way. Thank you.

The appreciation is mutual - 'teacher' and 'student'... two sides of the same coin. This flurry of interaction will taper off when we begin to feel we are going around in circles - which may be now; of course, anytime I open my mouth, I feel that way! Continue joining in the site's message board to keep the pot (mine, yours and other's) stirred, and let it unfold [chref=17]naturally[/chref].

As I see it, our ability to [chref=16]wilfully innovate while ignorant of the constant[/chref] is at a level undreamed of only 'yesterday'. Our post-agricultural age's approach to life is too myth and hypocrisy laden to serve the age to come. Can Taoism serve this 'post electric age'? It has been waiting in the wings for millennia. As you come to [chref=65]to know the models[/chref], pass along to others what you can, and time will tell.

/~\
    carl
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Carl

So, I have pondered all of this for some time now .....both your original replies and your restatement above (yes, folks, I am the Mike referenced above). I think a light bulb went off about the 50th time I read this ....

So, we as humans exist in the same way lions, viruses and turnips do. Daoism is not about being devoid of emotion --- something I have thought for some time --- but about just being, emotions and all. When we interpret, rationalize, or try and squelch our emotions is when we lose our path on The Way. When we just exist, and allow our emotions to express themselves without filters, we follow the way.

Need drives desire. When we need, we are out of balance and must fulfull the need to regain balance. Understanding our needs that underlie our emotions is enlightenment. Enlightenment helps us have balance, moderate needs, and exist in harmony with all of nature. Harmony is what the lion has ....he does not sweat status, ego, or self awareness. He eats when he is hungry, fights when he is angry, and mates when driven to by instinctual needs. Assuming for a moment the lion had the ability to cognate and express himself as we, if you asked him why he has such balance, he'd say "What are you talking about? I just AM."

I'd appreciate your input, Sensei. By the way, in the void of my absence I have started studying karate. I have taken note of how many times that Sensei has told me to stop trying and just do the moves without thinking. I have tried to do so, and found when I "zone out" is when the moves flow the best. I even succeed, sometimes, in not having my ego pulverized by looking at myself in the mirror in my Gi. Boy, I'm not 27 anymore ..... :)

Mike
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] mikequinn:[/cite]1) So, I have pondered all of this for some time now ... I think a light bulb went off about the 50th time I read this ....

2) Need drives desire. When we need, we are out of balance and must fulfull the need to regain balance. Understanding our needs that underlie our emotions is enlightenment. Enlightenment helps us have balance, moderate needs, and exist in harmony with all of nature.

3) Harmony is what the lion has ....he does not sweat status, ego, or self awareness.

4) He eats when he is hungry, fights when he is angry, and mates when driven to by instinctual needs.

5) Assuming for a moment the lion had the ability to cognate and express himself as we, if you asked him why he has such balance, he'd say "What are you talking about? I just AM."

6) ... in the void of my absence I have started studying karate.... Boy, I'm not 27 anymore .....

Mike

An important caveat to my reply below is the good chance that I misinterpreted what you wrote,... but we all know that, right? :lol:

1) Great! Nothing works better than returning to stillness and letting 'it' sort itself out. Yea!

2) That issue is a bit fuzzy. Generally need, desire, want, thirst,... etc., all describe the same life force. That 'energy of motivation' which pushes living things - [chref=42]the myriad creatures [/chref] - to act. To split hairs, I think of need as more the 'root', and [chref=19]desire[/chref] as how that 'root' manifests itself in our thoughts. In short - thought complicates need. But, really....?

As to "enlightenment". The problem with 'loaded' words like that is that they can make it more difficult for us to tune into [chref=2]the teaching that uses no words[/chref]. When any word becomes 'larger' than bits of garbage on the street, it drowns out that silent teaching. Thus, I find it very helpful to deeply distrust thought and all the words which create its 'shadows'. This helps me take my thought with a grain of salt. That keeps me grounded in my original self more than anything else I know.

3) Ah,... but he does! He just doesn't think about it. Which means he doesn't dwell on it, or haul 'it' around as so much extra baggage. When stimulated, he "sweats status", otherwise he is at rest. He is "self aware", but not aware of self. He doesn't turn his "self awareness" into an object of Self, i.e., 'I am'. For the lion there is no "I think therefore I am" issue.

4) Just like we do!

5) Just as most everyone is actually doing all the time. Maybe everyone... who knows?

6) Karate is a great preparation for Tai Chi which, when you are no longer 27, 37, 47, 57, 67... etc., will serve body and mind quite remarkably well.

Well, off to do what I need to do... or is it do what I want to... no, no, do what I desire... no, really just do what I need to do. Kind of silly really, but fun. It is not the words that are useful, but knowing... sensing really... what is going on. This [chref=10]knowing[/chref] is deeper than words can reach, which is why we keep re-thinking life, I suppose. Odd :wink: :roll: :oops: :? :)
  • edited December 1969
    Okay. So, referring to your numbered replies in your response below;

2. So hungry, happy, horny and horrified (sorry, I'm in an alliterative sort of mood :D ) are all the same thing. This life force pushes us to act in certain ways ....randomly? Is it without underlying purpose? Is it the luck of the draw that I wake up on a given morning wanting food more than sex? Does the life force have some purpose, or pattern, or structure as to the things we are pushed toward? Are you suggesting that the desire is a derivative of some intellectual process?

I get the point on enlightenment ....

3, So my buddy the lion is concerned about status when the rival lion comes into the area, but once the rival is defeated, he does not gloat or think about the fight he just won ....he does not haul it around. His concern of status serves him in defeating the rival, and not having the same societal hang ups as us that status is as gone as last night's dinner ... it no longer serves him, so it is out of his mind. We mess ourselves up by over processing stuff, instead of just letting these things flow into and out of our conciousness as they may.

6. For the record, I am 42. My ego thinks I'm still 27. I try to 'let go' my ego in the dojo by not thinking about anything that isn't serving me at the moment. I'm the lion ....or I guess the tiger would be more situationally appropriate.

So, all the way back to my pedofile example. The Taoist view would be the pedofile is as irrelevant to me as the philanthropist, unless either is 'in my face.' My hating the pedofile does not serve me unless I am in the act of defending a child. My admiration for the philanthropist does not serve me unless I am benefiting from his giving. In either case, my hate or love is natural, unbidden, and uneffected by mores or customs ....it just is. Society's loathing of one and loving the other is a social construct and thus fodder that we 'haul around' The lion don't care.

Hey, I just realized something. My buddy the lion is a Taoist!!!
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] mikequinn:[/cite]1) ...Does the life force have some purpose, or pattern, or structure as to the things we are pushed toward?

2) ... Are you suggesting that the desire is a derivative of some intellectual process?

3) ... We mess ourselves up by over processing stuff, instead of just letting these things flow into and out of our consciousness as they may.

4) ... Society's loathing of one and loving the other is a social construct and thus fodder that we 'haul around'. The lion don't care.

5) ...realized something. My buddy the lion is a Taoist!!!

1) Don't forget the co-generating aspect of [chref=32]names[/chref] - [chref=23]words[/chref], [chref=43]words[/chref], [chref=70]words[/chref], [chref=78]words[/chref], [chref=81]words[/chref]! They trap us in a battle that is unwinnable, though enjoyable if you don't trust them to actually be what they seem to be.

2) I suppose desire could be viewed as the intellectual side of the 'need coin'... undoubtedly 'heads', eh? :)

3) Nature abhors a vacuum, even the vast empty space of mind. Thus, we will end up either [chref=5]holding fast to the void[/chref] or holding fast to the [chref=2]words and deeds[/chref] with which we fill it.

4) [chref=73]Heaven hates what it hates. Who knows the reason why?[/chref] Emotions like this keep life's pot stirring, both for us in society and for lions in nature. The differences are illusionary, the similarities are [chref=56]mysterious[/chref].

5) And so are you!