Chapter of the Week: #10 [Archive]

That's why I keep my karate bag suspended on a rope. :wink:

You're talking about a punching bag, right? . . or are you talking about a bag to put your gi 'n stuff in?

Comments

• edited October 2005
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 10 was originally featured on the 2nd week in October, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 10
    When carrying on your head your perplexed bodily soul
    can you embrace in your arms the One
    And not let go?
    In concentrating your breath can you become as supple
    As a babe?
    Can you polish your mysterious mirror
    And leave no blemish?
    Can you love the people and govern the state
    Without resorting to action?
    When the gates of heaven open and shut
    Are you capable of keeping to the role of the female?
    When your disernment penetrates the four quarters
    Are you capable of not knowing anything?

It gives them life and rears them.

It gives them life yet claims no possession;
    It benefits them yet exacts no gratitude;
    It is the steward yet exercises no authority.
    Such is called the mysterious virtue.
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

Sure thing. :roll: Actually, the key here for me is "When your discernment penetrates the four quarters". When my discernment penetrates the four quarters, it is not so much a question of whether I'm capable or not - As discernment deepens I am not capable of knowing anything. 'Each' discernment cancels our the other you might say, and all that remains is [chref=25]silent [/chref][chref=16]emptiness[/chref]. When discernment cancel itself out, all that remains is [chref=52]the light[/chref]. This 'light' spawns all those other can you's naturally and simultaneously. For example, in the 'light', my mysterious mirror is polished and there is no blemish. In other words, everything - yes, everything - feels quite perfect and balanced. Nothing is wrong, i.e., there is no blemish.

The blemishes which I see on Nature, on the One, are simply reflections of my own personal agenda which stem from fear and need. When I'm driven by these emotions, and their myriad 'emergent properties', my discernment is lopsided and sees what I want to see (projects), and not what is there. This lies at the heart of the predicament that we imagine we have. We are [chref=65]too clever[/chref] for our own 'good'. Our discernment is lopsided, driven by emotion, which in turn leaves us feeling lopsided. Ironically, we cherish the [chref=18]cleverness[/chref] that spawns our imbalance. We revere it as that which make us superior. Go figure... :?

The reason it benefits them yet exacts no gratitude, is that it is [chref=46]content[/chref] and complete - One. It is fortunate that such a crazy and unstable person as I was for my first 40+ years of life didn't have children until increasing [chref=51]maturity[/chref] brought me deeper contentment. (or visa versa, i.e., discontentment cause immature action). This brought me the [chref=57]stillness[/chref] (patience) needed to raise them without claiming possession, exacting gratitude, exercising authority, and so forth.

Some unsolicited advice to prospective parents: Wait as long as you can to have kids. It is a blessing for all, parents and kids alike. Especially if you are an emotionally impaired individual - which is pretty much every one of us reared in civilized circumstance. Yep, that is the price we pay for the comfort and safety that civilization provides. And we are not [chref=80]returning to the use of the knotted rope[/chref] anytime soon.
  • edited December 1969
    Does this mean that we should not try to discern anything? I rather think that the message here is that knowledge is worthwile (I believe there is another chapter that speaks directly to this, but I cannot quote it at the moment) but the more we learn, the more we'll realize we don't know (if indeed we are following the Way). I agree with your suggestion that the perfectness is found in the light -- the emptiness --- and not in the knowledge itself.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] mikequinn:[/cite]...Does this mean that we should not try...

For me, the most non Taoist concept in language is 'should', followed by 'try'. There are two ways to view life, as I see it. Here is an example. Substitute 'tao' for anything else that comes to mind, e.g., Jesus, Buddha, Education, Morality, the American Way, ... any 'value'. After all, 'tao' simple means way, eh?

1) We 'should try' to follow the 'tao'.

2) When we follow the 'tao', we are more content.

#1 is the 'normal' competitive common view of the way to approach life.

#2 is the 'lower position' way of letting life unfold with our [chref=65]complete conformity[/chref].
  • edited December 1969
    ...okay, I see your point about the wording of my reply. So applying the concept of contentment to the original chapter language, the teaching is that when we seek discernment we gain contentment only through the balancing principle of emptiness ..... that knowledge in itself serves to broaden us internally, but does not externally help us ....that is, it does not help us by anything we can do with it. Gaining knowledge to "do" something with it would be serving only manmade needs ......

From your perspective, is my understanding of this teaching ".....accurate? (note how carefully I worded that! :D )
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] mikequinn:[/cite]
    1) ...okay, I see your point about the wording of my reply.

2) ...So applying the concept of contentment to the original chapter language,...

3) ...is my understanding of this teaching ".....accurate?

1) Words are the preconceptional bricks with which we build and articulate our perceptions, so they are more important, in a way, than the thoughts they articulate. Yet, we tend to get caught up in our ideas and ignore the role those foundational preconceptions play.

2) I find I understand the Tao Te Ching most deeply when my mind 'holds' it all in 'view' at once. Then, each Chapter gives context to the others. Thankfully, the Tao Te Ching can be read in an hour!
    . So now,
    . . . After 40+ years,
    . . . . . . It is coming out my ears. :lol:

3) Even so, understanding is relative. What we think we [chref=70]understand[/chref] is actually simply a reflection of where we are 'standing' at the moment. In a sense, if you can articulate your understanding in words, you are identifying where you are standing, and not what the 'tao' is about. The [chref=43]teaching[/chref] is best 'understood' in silence. I imagine that might sounds kind of crazy.

In other words, the question of "accuracy" is not relevant in Taoism, as I see it anyway. There is no fixed separate reality, i.e., accurate vs. erroneous. For example, think of accurate as [chref=2]'good'[/chref] and erroneous as [chref=2]'bad'[/chref], and you will see where that lands you. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    note how carefully I worded that!

:lol: Mikequinn: I've been there; I've done that when I'm writing on this board! Boy, can I relate.

What it reminds me of is how indocrinated we are to being right, to getting the right answer, by our childhood and education. When we are told we are wrong it's like a slap in the face. But here there is no right or wrong; it's just what is and as Carl explains, how we perceive the Tao reveals what we are like not what the Tao means.

The confusion comes from using language to try to communicate about this at all. But that's all we have.

I'm happy you're here.
  • edited December 1969
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :cry:
  • edited December 1969
    Carl would you please explain what you mean by "Especially if you are an emotionally impaired individual ". I have a comment but before I give it, I want to make sure I understand what you mean. :?:
  • edited December 1969
    No Should, No try.....Do! :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    .....thank you, Lynn. I went over the edge there :oops: ....I was thinking too hard .... I needed to just let that stew before I could appreciate it (...effort thru effortlessness ....)

I appreciate the help as well as the greetings. Have patience with me!

Mike
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Allandnone:[/cite]...explain what you mean by "Especially if you are an emotionally impaired individual ". .

Civilized circumstances - tool use - removes much of Natures 'discipline', or 'push back', on our instinctive desire for pleasure, comfort and security. Tool use enables us to get what we want... as much as we want. This throws us off balance, emotionally and psychologically. The "impairment" is symptomatic of civilization. Though, even without that, our mind's enhanced ability to [chref=28] sever the uncarved block[/chref] probably throws us a bit off kilter emotionally. Our ability for dialectic discernment and our inclination to believe our own bull****, leaves us feeling emotionally disconnected. This disconnect goes back at least 50,000 years, I suspect. Anyway, civilization and the wealth it brings, has the unintended consequence of "impairing us emotionally" even further. As the years go by, [chref=51]circumstances bring us to maturity[/chref], and better emotional balance than we had in youth - maybe because we see the bull**** for what it is more than we could in youth. At least, that has been my experience and also my observation.

Ok, it is your turn now... :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Are you defining emotion as "on our instinctive desire for pleasure, comfort and security"? I am looking at emotion as feeling, relationships, communications, organization and creative imagination. I still do not understand what you mean by emotion. It is perhaps just me that is having this problem. :yy:
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Allandnone:[/cite]Are you defining emotion as "on our instinctive desire for pleasure, comfort and security"? I am looking at emotion as feeling, relationships, communications, organization and creative imagination.

Emotion, as I observe it (and thus define it), is the primal electro chemical 'energy' which underpins and drives those manifestations of human behavior you cite. Our 'need' for pleasure and comfort, and our 'fear' of pain and loss are the motivating forces driving these emergent properties of humanity. Pull the plug on these primal drives, need and fear, and all which rest on them will crash down like a house of cards. Our need for, and fear of losing, pleasure (comfort) and security form the basis for all that we do. Humbling is it not?

How's that? :)

Note: This primal emotion - need and fear - not only drive our lives, but the lives of all mammals, reptiles and insects as well. I could even make a case for this 'energy' being the driving force behind ALL life, right down to plants and virus, but I won't. That might just be a little too humbling to swallow for now... :lol:

Suffice it to say, we are all [chref=39]One[/chref] big 'happy' family of [chref=1]myriad creatures[/chref] interacting here on earth. Our differences pale in light of our similarities. Indeed, differences are relative and illusionary, and only reflect our own needs and fears.
  • edited December 1969
    That will do it! I now understand where you are coming from. Thank you Carl. :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Carl I applied organic processing (sleep) on your comment (ha ha), now that I understand where you are coming from, you have just given me a great way to help one of the teenagers I am tutoring math too. Yesterday she was very up-set about the way her life was going etc., so we spent 2 hours talking about that instead of Algebra 2. I left wondering if I helped her, or made things worse. It is scary wondering if you have given the correct guidance or are you making things worse. Any how your comments about "need for pleasure and comfort" and " ...'fear' of pain and loss" will help me out in explaining to her what is happening and why she is so up-set. It will tie in what she and I have already discussed. Thank you! :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Now that I understand where you coming from, What drives us is the need for pleasure and comfort, and we fear pain and loss. With that in mind, the following , if practiced should help us survive:
    1. Accept change, nothing stays constant.
    2. Practice non-attachment, do not attach to pleasure/comfort or pain/loss.
    3. Everything is connected or networked together, therefore practice non-duality. We need to get above pleasure/comfort and pain/loss.
    4. Practice egolessness, it is our own egos that are contributing to the need for pleasure/comfort and fear of pain/loss.
    5. Be in the NOW! If we are in the NOW pleasure/comfort and pain/loss disappear.
    6. Minimize/eliminate our desires/lust and what is driving us will also be minimized/eliminated. Well, the ball is your court NOW. :wink: