All Living and Nonliving things are sacred

Cetainly we are all greatly influenced by our genetics and by nature. But perhaps we are also influenced to a large degree by our enviornment and by what happens in our life. I'm not saying that we are all unique, even though genetically at least we are, nor am I saying that we all have "free will". I just think it's narrow minded to think that we are products of instict alone.

It can be proven scientifically that much of human behavior, more than anyone had ever predicted, is directed by DNA, but it is also a fact that our genes are programmed to adapt to our enviornment and change over time in response to the events in our lives.

This isn't really "free will", but it does suggest that not everything we do is not base soley on instict.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I think that all living and non living things are sacred. I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter what you look at, investigate, question etc. whether it is alive or not it should be revered. It is like the last line of the Gospel of Thomas 113 His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"
    "It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is here right NOW and we do not see it. This is our chance right now to experience enternity, not after we are dead. What do you think or feel? :yy:
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Allandnone:[/cite]
    1) ... should...

2)... it is here right NOW and we do not see it. This is our chance right now to experience eternity, not after we are dead.

Well, here's what strikes me today... (and probably will tomorrow too).

1) We burden ourselves, mind and emotion, with so much "should" which easily drowns out 'being'. We are chasing an imagined pot of gold at the end of our mind's rainbow.

2) If we expect to see what isn't there, it becomes impossible to see what is there. We blind ourselves with our own fondly held preconceptions of how it 'should' be.

A bird of belief in our clinging hands is not worth a :?: in the bushes of eternity.
  • edited December 1969
    I think what Allandnone is saying is that only by being present, being now, being mindful will you be able to realize the sacredness of all things. Not that you should! That's just how it is.
    A bird of belief in our clinging hands is not worth a in the bushes of eternity.

How about "A flock of birds of belief in our clinging hands is not worth single bird in the bushes of eternity." (Leave it to Carl to go turn a perfectly good cliche on its head!)
  • edited December 1969
    Lynn I agree with what you are saying. By being in the NOW, enternity is experienced. Easier said than done. Eternity is here right NOW and we do not see it! As soon as I start talking about Eternity, I lose it, because I am no longer in the NOW. Gee wiz how are we some suppose to communicate this stuff, with silence? :wink: No I can not do that I am a natural born "flapper" (ha ha).
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Allandnone:[/cite]
    1)... Eternity is here right NOW and we do not see it! As soon as I start talking about Eternity, I lose it, because I am no longer in the NOW.

2)...Gee wiz how are we suppose to communicate this stuff, with silence? :wink:

1) It is not only the "talking", but the thinking that goes on behind the scenes, at least that is my experience. The more I lean on names... definition... any definition... (now, eternity, mindfulness, God, etc.), the less present I am with the 'mystery'. In a way, thinking allows me an illusionary shortcut to the 'answer' that will resolve the 'mystery'. And so I prattle on.

Thus, I would not be so sure that I am not always in the NOW. When I see us (humanity) as being disconnected, for example, I don't mean we actually are disconnected. It is just that we perceive ourselves so. That old illusion of self deceives us. It sets us apart, perceptually speaking. Any belief we have and hold will support the illusion of self and only continue the sense of disconnection. Just have to pop those preconceptions any way we can.

2) "Talking" is crucial. We are social creatures and talking is an integral part of connecting with others. Ironically, thinking serves the same role in connecting with our 'self'. We are all kind of schizoid - thanks to our brain.

Anyway, silence's role in all this come into play when I wish to [chref=2]practice the teaching that uses no words[/chref]. It is the only way I have found to connect with the 'mystery'.
  • edited December 1969
    Thus, I would not be so sure that I am not always in the NOW. When I see us (humanity) as being disconnected, for example, I don't mean we actually are disconnected. It is just that we perceive ourselves so.

Amen, exactly. There is nowhere to go, nothing to do. Now that is the way of heaven.
  • edited December 1969
    ~/~ :wink: