Chapter of the Week: #08 [Archive]

[cite] Carl:[/cite]We fail to realize - feel actually - the living hell that the 'evil' person experiences, and so can't appreciate the fact that his actions simply reflect his inner sorrow, pain, isolation, disconnection, desperation, insanity, discontent and conflict. The hell within manifests itself in hellish actions. The 'evil' is a symptom of his inner torment, just as content people tend to act in kindly ways.

I have long held the belief that the hell Christians speak of isn't so much a punishment that is delivered by god but what it is like to have a perfect knowledge of all things (gained once we leave this world) and compare it to what we chose to make of life.

Regardless of whether there is an after-life, the idea that hell is what it is like to live a life of "hellish actions" falls on my mind with a powerful lightness.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 8 was originally featured on the 4th week in September, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 8
    Highest good is like water. Because water excels in benefiting the myriad
    creatures without contending with them and settles where none would like to
    be, it come close to the way.

In a home it is the site that matters;
    In quality of mind it is depth that matters;
    In an ally it is benevolence that matters;
    In speech it is good faith that matters;
    In government it is order that matters;
    In affairs it is ability that matters;
    In action it is timeliness that matters;

It is because it does not contend that it is never at fault.
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

I feel highest good is like serving one's natural [chref=33]purpose[/chref], whether 'one' be wind, water, me or you. What else can 'one' do? Nothing, of course, but our subjective perception is otherwise (thanks big brain!). Thus, the only issue for me is to deeply-truly-actually feel that I'm serving my natural purpose - my dharma. That's the hitch, eh? I think 'I' get in my own way. :?

The second part of chapter 8 sheds more light on this. How deeply I know my life models the factors (together!) that matter determine whether my moment to moment awareness rests in natural purpose. Each factor plays a role in the other. All seven reflect the same [chref=21]essence[/chref] (like Buddha's Eight Fold Path). Breaking them apart in these life categories helps me to ponder depth, faith, order, timeliness, and so on, in the context of my life experience. Then problems arise; I begin judging 'degrees' of depth, faith, order... Arrrrgh! This is nothing more that contending with 'what is'. Naturally, this too rests in my 'natural purpose'. Judging is based in instinct. Boy, it is a vicious circle, though it feels less so the deeper I settle. :|

It is only when I'm wholly settled down into these that matter, that I feel no contending 'choices' disrupting me. Then, like water, I am completely settled where none would like to be. Why none would like to be? Because by and large we all [chref=37]desire[/chref] to have 'it' both ways. We never fully let go of our myriad [chref=64]desires[/chref] enough to feel settled into natural purpose each moment. We ceaselessly contend with past, present, and future options to choose what we imagine most [chref=3]desirable[/chref]. Only then, we believe, will we be [chref=46]content[/chref].

[chref=63]Taking no action[/chref] allows us to feel our life settled in natural purpose. Its tough!... Sure enough, life isn't a game for sissies... :lol: