Site Hijacking, Outage, and Recovery

Carl would you please explain what you mean by "Especially if you are an emotionally impaired individual ". I have a comment but before I give it, I want to make sure I understand what you mean. :?:

Comments

• edited October 2005
    You may have noticed that this web site was unavailable for most of the past day or two. Yesterday at approximately 3:12PM Eastern, a hacker or group of hackers by the name of DJ_Remix broke into my web hosting company's servers, and within four minutes they had hijacked over 200 web sites (hosted by said company), replacing their home pages with the hacker's webpage. My hosting company shut them out within minutes, and then kept the server offline to diagnose and correct the security problem. Not sure what the details are myself. However, as soon as I saw the problem (within about half an hour) I quickly backed up and deleted the web site, just to make sure it wouldn't be tampered with. That was evidently unnecessary, but you can't be too careful. So today I finally got the site restored from the backups, (then fixed the problem where all the posts were unavailable :D ), and everything should be working OK now. Let me know if you encounter any other problems, or if anything else is out of the ordinary.

Luke

(I'm just thankful we don't have credit cards or anything else to be stolen off our server! Yikes!)
  • edited December 1969
    damned hackers oughta be shot. authorities better start taking such activity seriously and dealing with it, but of course they'll wait till it's too late-treating them like they're old west outlaws or folk heroes, which is what i see the media and such doing, is just wrong. i'd seriously cut their fingers off so if they want to type and hack they'd have to hold a pencil in their mouth...sure, i'm harsh, but mine would be a very peaceful country...
  • edited December 1969
    or it may have just been one of Joanne's attempts to keep me from posting so much...
    (old inside joke, probably only funny to me)
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]... i'd seriously cut their fingers off so if they want to type and hack they'd have to hold a pencil in their mouth...

Buddy is [chref=5]ruthless [/chref] and treats the hackers as carrots... :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    They're more to be pitied than scolded. They need to be loved, not despised... (I tried very hard to make the second half of that song work, but to no avail... :) )

Seriously, though, if it wasn't for the fact that I have some morals -- not to mention a life -- I would probably make a pretty good hacker...

There's so much hacking out there, though, that the authorities can only chase a tiny fraction. Not to mention the fact that this guy operates overseas. Of course, if the DoD was hacked (which it has been) . . .

[P.S. - I now see that there's a 504 error coming up when people post . . . I'll look into it. Update: Fixed. :-) ]
  • edited December 1969
    ...the lure of the internet wrecked their young lives...

couldn't resist
  • edited December 1969
    checking out carl's link per me being 'ruthless'-chapter 5 states heaven and earth are ruthless, and that this is juts the earth doing its job-funny, this is a subject i've touched on alot recently-when people have spoken of the 'terrible' hurricane, tsunami, etc...i sound ruthless when i say 'hey, dont blame nature', it's just doing what it does-it's man's inability to plan or deal with this appropriately thats terrible
    I illustrate how things just are what they are by holding my coffee cup-i ask the kids, what is this-a cup, they say-then i turn it upside down, spilling the coffee all over-now what is it, I ask-they just stare and laugh at the mess-it's still a cup i say, what went wrong was the fault of the man holding it, not the cup...
    somehow i'll bring this back around to how i deal with hackers and other criminals...
  • edited December 1969
    your country i believe would be a totalitarian dictatorship. you have an awful way of going about things.
  • edited December 1969
    totalitarian dictatorship...works for me...