Bluegrass Awards

edited September 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
Rather than fill it to the brim by keeping it upright
Better to have stopped in time;

As a paid-up member of AA, how could I NOT comment on the wisdom of this one. More is not better.

I looked up retire in the dictionary, and the definition I think fits here is retiring as in 'retiring Jerry Rice's jersey number'. A task is accomplished and then it is retired and the next moment's task comes along. Doesn't that feel peaceful and complete?

I am learning how to do watercolor. I can't think of a better example of how hammering to a point does not work! If I try too hard I end up with a big mess. And I try to hard when my "I" is too big. There's no use in being overbearing...it happens or it doesn't and all you can do is stop in time.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Nominations for the Bluegrass Music awards:

Entertainer of the year:
    Cherryholmes
    Alison Kraus & Union Station
    Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
    The Del McCoury band
    Rhonda Vincent & the Rage

New Artist:
    Audie Blaylock & Redline
    Cherryholmes
    The Grascals
    Alecia Nugent
    Williams & Clark Expedition

Vocal group:
    Blue Highway
    AK & Union Station
    Doyle L & Quicksilver
    Mountain Heart
    Rhonda Vincent & the rage

instrumental group the same except for Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder taking Quicksilver's place

Kraus got 14 nominations-i've not heard most of the other folks, unfortunately...anybody up on these new bands?
    -the awards are Oct 27 in Nashville after being held every year previous in Kentucky-that can't be a good sign...
  • edited December 1969
    I know these bands and here are my predictions for the winners:

Entertainer of the year:
    The Del McCoury band

New Artist:
    The Grascals

Vocal group:
    Rhonda Vincent & the rage

Instrumental group:
    Ricky Skaggs (probably wrong here)

I am basing all this on the amount of buzz about each artist. If I'm aware of the buzz, it must be a lot.
  • edited December 1969
    found out a few of the winners: cherryholmes (a family band) won entertainer of the year-rhonda vincent won her 6th straight female vocalist-larry sparks his second straight male vocal, and album for '40'-and the grascals won new artist...still need to check the majority of these guys out-my bluegrass education is running seriously behind,,,
  • edited December 1969
    I saw the Cherryholmes a few years ago (back when they'd only been playing close to two years) and I see why they won Entertainer of the Year. Banjo & Fiddle players of the year: Jim Mills and Stuart Duncan . . . no arguments here. Here's the complete list. Of course, I really don't care much myself, I'd rather be pickin' and :-D.

And hey Buddy, you got two out of four! Not bad! Oh, and kudos on being able to dig up the old thread! :)

From what I've heard the new Nashville IBMA is just as good, if not better, at least this year, at least for those I've heard from. Next year we'll have to be at the trade show with our Abbott Family Music booth . . . :P
  • edited December 1969
    interesting story on how the Cherryholmes started the band as a response to their daughters death-have to read up more on them-just gave their webste a quick glance-it appears they had little muscical experience before forming the band? have to give them a listen of course, too-they could become my 2nd favrite bluegrass family...