Chapter of the Week: #04 [Archive]

[cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]I will be able to do all these things when I'm dead and gone.

That is the up side of death that rarely gets any press. :wink:

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 4 was originally featured on the 4th week in August, 2005.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 4
    The way is empty, yet use will not drain it.
    Deep, it is like the ancestor of the myriad creatures.

Blunt the sharpness;
    Untangle the knots;
    Soften the glare;
    Let your wheels move only along old ruts.

Darkly visible, it only seems as if it were there.
    I know not whose son it is.
    It images the forefather of God.
  • edited September 2005
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

I think of let your wheels move only along old ruts as [chref=40]turning back[/chref] to my 'original self' - who 'I' was before I started thinking, remembering experiences and learning. It is a feeling of profound simplicity. Of course, life is always stimulating me to leap forward. I now know this reflexive instinct is always 'awake'. When I remember this, I am careful and 'invite' myself to move in the other direction. Soften the glare 'invites' me to back off hard distinctions; untangle the knots 'invites' me to keep it simple; blunt the sharpness 'invites' me to be still and ponder. It is only then that I truly know [chref=33]contentment[/chref].

I see letting your wheels move only along old ruts as the Taoist equivalent of Buddha's Fourth Truth, "Let your sole desire be the performance of your duty...". The constancy of doing this over the years pull me back from the edges of [chref=64]desire[/chref], helping me [chref=14]hold fast to the way of antiquity in order to keep in control the realm of today.[/chref]

When I'm still and sink deep into the senses (touch, hearing, vision... etc), I can't 'see' an end, or rather what I 'see' only seems as if it were there. This [chref=16]emptiness[/chref] is not like the emptiness of space, or the emptiness of a bowl. It is a [chref=21]shadowy and indistinct[/chref] pile of [chref=11]Nothing[/chref]. Wow, no wonder this is called [chref=1]mystery upon mystery[/chref]. And, shame on me. Look at all these links! But, they all tie into this. Because [chref=32]the way is for ever nameless[/chref], it helps to beat around the 'its' bush a little to know what to look for. This is essential, for what I need to remember to notice is [chref=67]nothing[/chref]. :lol:

Nature uses empty to drive me to fill life [chref=9]to the brim[/chref] - instinctively! That includes writing these comments on the Tao Te Ching and such. This never ceases to amaze me; the irony is that it is only when I remain still, [chref=25]silent[/chref] and soak up the emptiness that I'm truly content, at least as I know it. Everything else is a fleeting coming and going-ness - but, hey, that's what make life live. I wait for death to 'enjoy' total contentment. :)
  • edited December 1969
    I can not tell you number of times I have up-set other people by not following this advice "blunt the sharpness 'invites' me to be still and ponder". Boy, do I need to be still and ponder. I am still working on #3 of the Noble 8 Fold Path, Right Speech. I seem to shoot my mouth off before thinking about the consequences. Of course when I do it, it is more of a emotional knee jerk reaction. No excuses! If I could caught that emotional knee jerk action at that particular time, I probably would not be in so much difficulties with my friends.

It is inresting to see how the Noble 8 Fold Path threads its way through the Tao Te Ching.
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you for your honesty, Allandnone. I have been struggling with my shortcomings and have felt so conflicted about my self-judgement. I heard a helpful suggestion from Cheri Huber: she said that punishing yourself for wrong action does not bring right action. Berating yourself doesn't help. The only thing that can help is to have compassion for yourself.

It seems to me in my experience that only when you own your limitations, only when you accept them, almost love them, can you let them go.

It's like in yoga--tensing and trying to be better doesn't work. Relaxing and letting go is the only way.

Hope that helps you like it helped me.
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you for the good advice. I find that trying to follow the Noble 8 Fold path is etxremely practical and keeps one focused.