Being in the Moment Comes Naturally

...the lure of the internet wrecked their young lives...

couldn't resist

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Yes, it is true. No effort, skill, or (dare I say) free will is required. It happens naturally simply because, when the time comes, there is no other choice - that's a little ironic, huh? Understanding how this happens may be easier by considering a parallel experience we have all had.

The compelling nature of a movie, for example, rests on how well it captures our imagination. For example, if you really know and feel the 'behind the scenes' work, camera angles, dozens of retakes, editing procedures, and such, the illusion doesn't stick so well. Of course, if you want to learn 'how movies are done' side of things, then seeing a movie can sustain interest - for that reason. If you have seen the movie and know how it ends, the illusion won't stick either - unless you are reliving the illusion; folks who do this can see a movie over and over. My point here is, if you see through the illusion, you can't sit through the movie. What are you going to do? Go outside and return to reality.

The illusion of self is not unlike the example above. If you really perceive the 'self' as real, the illusion sticks. If you really buy the illusion of free will, you will be motivated to see this 'movie'. When you believe you can win, and that winning will make you happy, you will be motivated to play any game that promises that.

Seeing things as they are, rather than seeing them relative to your ideals breaks the illusion - not only the illusion of the ideals, but the illusion of 'self' that holds on to the ideas. So, now what happens? How does life go on without hope, which those ideals engender in us?

This situation is really no different than seeing through a movie's illusion. You leave the your life's 'movie' and [chref=40]turn back [/chref] to reality. This doesn't mean you leave life, you just leave the illusion. But, where do you go? When you leave a movie you actually leave a theater and return to the illusion of self. When you see though the illusion of self, free will, and any associated ideals, there is no theater to leave.

What do you do?
  • edited December 1969
    Less and less.
  • edited December 1969
    But if "self" is really an illusion, then why is everyone different? People react differently to things, have their own opinions and thoughts. Everyone has their own experiences in life, and different personalities. Don't these things tend to define us, and in turn make us unique?
  • edited December 1969
    I don't think people are so different. You might like blue and I like red, but when you get down to the basics of life, there's not that much difference between us. We all have the same needs and the same fears. To me, that is quite a relief!

We humans have developed an ego, or self, that tells us that we are unique, that we are separate from everyone else. Consider for a moment that this is a lie. I think the ego is a survival tactic and not unimportant, but the point is, it is false, it does not exist. Our self-created egos create the differences between us and tell us that we are unique and separate. We are not. We are connected. I say YAY!
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Jillian:[/cite]But if "self" is really an illusion, then why is everyone different?
    Rocks are all different. Ergo, rocks have selfs, yes? ;-)

My point is, there's plenty of variety out there that can be explained without the concept of "self" (at least, "self" as unique to humans) being introduced...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Jillian:[/cite]But if "self" is really an illusion, then why is everyone different? People react differently to things, have their own opinions and thoughts. Everyone has their own experiences in life, and different personalities. Don't these things tend to define us, and in turn make us unique?

Good question. Let's see if I can be as succinct in reply.... Mmm, unlikely I'm afraid.... :)

Each snow flake is unique. Nature is chock full of myriad creatures, both organic and inorganic. But, each snow flake doesn't feel separate from the rest of creation. On the organic side of things, take dogs for example. Each is unique in temperament and physiology. But, they too don't imagine a separate 'self'. They don't imagine a death of self.

Our perception of difference is extremely relative, and based on what we 'tune in to' - what we feel important. This is all linked to our instinctive needs and fears. Our survival instinct powers our sense of self. Our imagination (big brain) makes it all appear real.

You are correct; we do define ourselves by what we like and dislike, need and fear. All this takes place in our imagination and memory - past, present, and future. Our consciousness is spread across time and space, constantly jumping ahead of 'being', or lagging behind 'being' dwelling in the past. We live in an imaginary world, and view 'what is' through that filter of preconception.

Of course, until we taste the [chref=21]indistinct and shadowy [/chref] that lies beyond the names (preconception), nothing will seem amiss; we surround ourselves with a fort of certainty. Self, and all the [chref=32] names[/chref] we use to characterize it, feels real. But is it? Those who have doubts are pulled to Taoism and Buddhism to explore the issue, as you seem to be doing now.

One example to contemplate: We know scientifically, that what seems like solid matter to our senses is 99.99% space. And the rest of it is 'energy'. But, your senses tell you otherwise. Our senses 'lie' to us - especially if we take them at face value. Our biology evolved to get us to interact with nature and survive, not to see things as they truly are. Hold this principle in mind and look around you, the world may become far more [chref=56]mysterious[/chref] than you ever imagined it. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    I know I already put in my 2 cents, but I just remembered. When I was in India at an ashram, I did a 2 or 3 day workshop (imagine!) where all we did was, with a partner, one on one, was to take turns responding to our partner saying: "Tell me who you are." So for an hour, you would tell him or her, I am a woman, I am a computer programmer, I am a seeker, I am a daughter, sister, cousin, wife, on and on for hours.

After a while, you realized that you weren't any of these labels. You weren't really anyone.

Any sincere search for self will find no self. But I know it is unbelievable until your experience it. The way to experience it is through meditation (the workshop was sort of interesting but more frustrating than insightful!)