Trouble with compulsive eating

edited August 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
I guess I'm confused, I thought A lived with you ? what does A think of his mom's "anti-barefoot" stance (no pun) ?

as for the "kid that dared", was he just pushing things or just being a teenager ? and what did the others say when you refused to "punish" the offender ?

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hey everyone. To introduce myself I'll give you a few random facts. I'm a teenage boy living in rural Canada. I have loving parents, and I'm an only child. I think I'm gay, or at least I feel that way most of the time. I'm also fairly new to Taoism. With that said, I came here looking for help. I feel like I often medicate myself with food. Since the 5th grade I remember gorging myself on huge amounts of chocolate and other junk. I've never been morbidly obese, but I have always been a little self conscious about my weight. Last summer I couldn't stand it any longer. I made some changes, started eating right and exercising. I lost just under 40 pounds by spring. I think one of the main reasons I did these was to appear more attractive, to one friend in particular. I've had strong feelings for this guy for a long time, I think it goes beyond a simple crush. Last spring though, during a school trip to Montreal, I realized he probably didn't share these feelings. I felt so depressed and lonely, coming back to this conservative town, staying in the closet, having no hopes for love. I gave up on that new lifestyle and binged like never before. I gained back much of the weight and became even more depressed, watching everything I worked for just disappear. This summer has been absolute hell. I made numerous attempts to turn things around, but so far nothing has lasted more than a week. Junk food fills that empty gap. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
  • edited December 1969
    hello and welcome justin
    you're in a tough position-small town, isolated, introverted, probably smarter than the average teen, judging from your writing and youer presence on here...
    first thing that comes to mind is we can never change for good if we're doing it for someone else. the only real lasting change is that which we do for ourselves, and ourselves only. You were trying to be more attractive to this guy, it was bound to fail. internal disorders go deeper than surface attractiveness.
    I'm speaking as a longtime alcoholic-sober 6 years now-i quit a thousand times for a thousand reasons-none of them good enuf to keep my dry until finally i looked at myself and said 'what is this doing to me, for me? Is this what i want for me?' sometimes being selfish and vain is good-i saw my youthful looks fading from the booze-i saw my health suffering, my work slipping, and didnt want to put myself in a position of having to go to others for help. So i took control of my life.
    Now, did becoming sober solve all my problems? heavens no, but it gave me one less problem.
    Not sure how taoist my approach to this is-very little , likely, but others can help you along those lines.
    basically just stop and look at yourself, make a plan for the future and go for it. and post lots on here. these are good folks who'll give you food for thought, and you can gorge on that all you want. peace and love buddy
  • edited December 1969
    You might try a support group in your area. You are not alone. You can get help from others who have faced the same problem and succeeded. Here is a web site you could start with: http://www.oaregion6.org/r6_intergroups/newfoundland.htm

And if you don't like OA, there's also Food Addicts Anonymous. I don't know what the difference is, but some prefer one and others the other. OA is much more prevalent.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]
    1...i quit a thousand times for a thousand reasons-none of them good enuf to keep my dry until finally i looked at myself and said 'what is this doing to me, for me? Is this what i want for me?'

2...Not sure how taoist my approach to this is-very little ,

3...basically just stop and look at yourself, make a plan for the future and go for it....
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]
    4....You are not alone.

5...And if you don't like OA, there's also Food Addicts Anonymous. I don't know what the difference is,

I'll just plagiarize from Buddy1 and Lynn, and add a bit... :wink:

1. "What I want" is the key here. When you connect deep down with what you truly want you can not help but do it. No plan, no will, no discipline is needed. Only your sincere need. Connecting to true need is the hitch...

2. This is not only a Taoist approach, it is the only one that works.

3. We are driven in life by need, period. Choice is a fantasy, as are plans, unless they reflect our deep need. The question is what do you really need?

4. You are alone - at present, and that is most likely where your true need lies. You need a deeper social connection to feel whole, which much of modern culture thwarts. When this social need is met, other issues, like eating in your case, drop away more easily. Self destructive action is a symptom of something missing in ones life (usually social in one way or another), with the action being an attempt to balance that. As the action is not actually meeting true need, there are destructive consequences (side effects).

5. Filling that social need will most likely put you on the path to contentment. Contact the folks Lynn suggested as a start. Volunteer your services any way you can - church, town, animal shelter, farm, forest.

More to the point, maybe,.. it is the giving side of social connection that really lightens the soul, though because we feel the need for social connection, we tend to first look at it social situations in terms of what we can get out of them... taking, as opposed to giving! This makes this 'therapy' not as easy to practice as it is to preach. Just get the ball rolling in small ways and see where it leads. It will lead you out of your 'hole', step by step. But you need to take a step, right?

The reason some prefer OA over FAA or visa versa, is likely due to simple social 'matching'. It is like fishing, you put your line in here... there...yonder... etc., poking around until you find the 'fish' you need.
  • edited December 1969
    Justin, My younger sister is gay and has been out of the closet to our family and friends for 20 years. We came from a loving family too. Never has my sister not been accepted for who she is. When you are ready to tell your parents, they will still love and accept you and be proud of you. Parents have a way of knowing things (especially moms :wink: ), they might already know.

As a teacher, I know school is probably hell for you. Kids in my school tend to throw around "gay" as a negative adjective...this is gay...that is gay, as well as calling people gay. Myself and several teachers in my school do not tolerate that in the classroom nor hallways, however we don't hear everything that goes on. And, sadly, there are some teachers who let students get away with it. Does your school have a counselor you feel comfortable talking to? Or maybe there's a teacher you trust? You could even go back and talk with one of your past teachers you liked and trusted. I agree with everyone else that you need someone to talk to. I had a Senior guy tell me last year he was gay. The year before that, one of my colleagues had one of her students tell her he was gay. Teachers have to be careful offering advice in this area, but we are good listeners.

As a teen, you haven't stopped growing in height. You didn't say exactly how old you are, but between your Sophomore and Junior year, you'll shoot up a few more inches. Guys can even add some height between 18-20! So don't give up on your body yet. There's still time to turn it around with positive eating habits. You can do it. We are here for you. Let us know how you are doing.

Best Regards,

Michigander
  • edited December 1969
    what carl says about the social need fits exactly with the young criminals i work with. they act out, taking, as a way of getting attention and thus social 'acceptance' of a sort-they know no other way. sad, they dont know what they need, as they've only ever been told what they should 'want'. staying busy is a main key to staying out of trouble, be it crime or addictions-the kids i work with are branded as lazy, when really they're just ignorant, never been given the chance to try, to learn-when i tell them what to do, show them how and trust them to do it, they go to town and have a ball...and stay out of trouble as long as they're working...

I replaced my drinking with volunteering, and then of course proceeded to go overboard on that. but lol, better than the alternative...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]
    1... show them how and trust them to do it, they go to town and have a ball...and stay out of trouble as long as they're working...

2... of course proceeded to go overboard on that. but lol, better than the alternative...

1. You are so right on Buddy! Thanks for bringing some reality to my words.

2. I think we ALL go overboard - I see civilization as the cause of that, (naturally). We have time and opportunity to go overboard. To go overboard in helpful healthy ways at least keeps us fairly balanced.

Hip Hip Hooray :)
  • edited December 1969
    Hey Justin, Welcome to the site.

I'll give you a link that might help. It is a terrific web site for GLB and have an awesome network for kids and it is ONLY for kids and run by kids (under 25). The have an excellent email list that "The goal of these lists is to provide gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and questioning youth an open forum to communicate with other youth. The content ranges from support topics in times of crisis, to "chit-chat" and small talk. Each list is operated by a volunteer staff who are in the same age group as the list subscribers.

I've know the founder for many years, he resigned his post as exucitve director because he became too "old" and passed the reigns on to others. His name is Jason H, and his story is on the site and tells why he started this listing.

here is the link for it, I hope this helps you. www.youth-guard.org

peace,
    bob
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you all for responding. It's been a pretty crappy month, but school has started, and things seem to be coming around. I've been eating healthy and exercising everyday (jogging, weight lifting, etc...). I do have a question for you. I just finished reading 'The Tao of Pooh', and it talks about the "Bisy Backson", a person who confuses exercise with work. Someone who pushes themselves harder and harder, and says "around the next corner, above the next step". These people never achieve happiness because they believe it is "somewhere beyond the rainbow". This describes me pretty well, and I'm confused. Does this mean I should stop pushing myself? Should I let things be and accept them as they are?

The book also talks about Li Chung Yun, a man who lived to be 256 years old. He believed that exercise which strains and tires the mind and body shortens life. Does this mean I should I stick to light activity?

I want to be healthy, but this has given me a lot to think about.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] justin:[/cite]...I'm confused. Does this mean I should stop pushing myself? Should I let things be and accept them as they are?

... Does this mean I should I stick to light activity?

Look around carefully and you may notice that the world's societies, past, present and for the foreseeable future are composed of the blind leading the blind. And, yes, I include myself in the group. Ask questions, wonder in awe, and look within yourself. Follow your heart. You know better than anyone on the planet what the next step for you must be. And I mean that 100%. The following, from Chapter 36, offers a profoundly important view that parallels what I just said.

[chref=36]If you would have a thing shrink,
    You must first stretch it;
    If you would have a thing weakened,
    You must first strengthen it;
    If you would have a thing laid aside,
    You must first set it up;
    If you would take from a thing,
    You must first five to it. [/chref]

You cannot jump ahead of yourself. People will offer all kinds of advice, 'shoulds', do's and don'ts, but these are only reflections of their experience - their needs and fears. Of course, that applies to what I'm saying here. So take it all with a grain of salt and look within your own experience to verify what sounds right to you - right now.

I know this is hard to do because we are social animals and hanker to follow the learned and the wise among us to the 'watering hole' of life. Alas, we are so far removed as a species from the primal times when that worked. Thus, today each of us must look within to verify.

Beware of 'should'! That six letter word is worst than any four letter word I can imagine :!: