New Here: Just a Question

edited August 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
Hi, when it came to the slums; i didnt go barefoot since there was too much infection risk; quite a lot of locals only had flip flops and a few of the kids were barefoot through the mud and erm everything else ! We did a sports day which was awesome and lots of the youth ran, footballed, volleyballed etc barefoot - Kenya produces great runners who outpaced us on gravel even when we wore trainers :-) My feet are a bit tough but 1500 m on stones was a bit much - one of the boys made me dead envious when we compared feet (he was amazed to see a wealthy white person barefoot !) - I had not realised soles could get that thick and tough !!!!!!!! I must sort out the photos sometime since there should be some good ones and they certainly prove that Nike dont have the last word ! I'm glad your boy is getting more confident, I lived by the sea and still did not go barefoot as much as i would have liked since i worried what people would think (still do in fact !). Does he go out with his friends barefoot and what do they think, have any negative comments put him off ? Nice to hear that his soles are as hard as leather, I'm sure kids have some inbuilt speed-callusing feature that means that they leave adults feet looking a bit weedy after walking about barefoot for about 3 minutes ;-)

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Hello,

I'm Jill. I stubbled onto this site while browsing the web, and was intrigued. I was raised Christian, but I don't actually believe in that faith. I do, however seem to agree with what I have read on Taoism, so far at least. I have a couple questions though, I was wondering if anyone here could help me out?
    Thanks!

1. As far as I understand, Taosim does not attempt to state a specific God or creator and actaully says that one cannot be named ("The name that can be named, Is not the constant name." -Tao Te Ching [ch. 1] ). my question is: Isn't the point of a "organized religion" to attepmt to explain these type of things such as if there is a creator, and the purpose of life? Furthermore, how can a faith logically be based on something that is undefinible---how do you know what you are believeing in?

2. What's up with the Tai Chi? Is that actually part of Taoism or just something many Taoists do?

I hope I do not come of as being critical; I am just looking for some help
    (and if possible answers.) I also apologize if some of these things don't make much sense, lol.

Thanks so much,
    Jillian
  • edited December 1969
    welcome jillian-just my 2 cents worth, i'm sure carl and others will be able to answer you more fully
    Faith to me is belief in that which is unknown, unseen, by nature undefinable. man's limited mind cannot define most of whats in nature and the universe (the unlimited, infinite)-we try, for our own comfort and sanity, or we let others try for us (organized religion) but in the end we have to just trust and be.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Jillian:[/cite]
    1).... my question is: Isn't the point of a "organized religion" to attempt to explain these type of things such as if there is a creator, and the purpose of life? Furthermore, how can a faith logically be based on something that is undefinable---how do you know what you are believing in?

2).... What's up with the Tai Chi? Is that actually part of Taoism or just something many Taoists do?

3)...I hope I do not come of as being critical; I am just looking for some help
    (and if possible answers.) I also apologize if some of these things don't make much sense, lol.

Welcome to the watering hole Jill! :)

1. I see religion as belief systems that give people what they need in order to feel secure. The 'creator' is just an extension of the social 'alpha male' common to most (all?) tribal animals. Our 'father who art in heaven'... reflects our need to feel our place in the social hierarchy. The agricultural revolution of 10,000 years ago ended ancestral tribal life and the social security that came with that intimate circumstance. Religion stepped in to fill the void. Religions serve an emotional (faith) need, and thus needn't be any more logical than an ice cream cone. The 'organized part of religion serves a political purpose in its own right as well.

2. The principles of Taoism just mesh with Tai Chi ( a rather recent practice ).

3. Not at all. In fact, don't hesitate to question and criticize, i.e., poke at anything that seems fishy. This site isn't aimed at 'true believers', but rather at those experiencing a serious 'review' of life. As for 'sense'... three cheers for non-sense. :!:
  • edited December 1969
    Hmmm, that gives me something to think about.
    Thanks a lot guys. :)