The GOOD Book?

edited July 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
I was explaining to you the different nuances of the two words, preacher and teacher, in this country. I am not saying this biased impression is the definition. I was just trying to explain something you may not know about our primarily Christian culture here in the USA. Words take on meaning beyond their original intent based on the mental constucts our culture creates around them.

I find you are very arrogant. You might consider reacquainting yourself with beginner's mind.

You think I do not understand because I don't agree with your beliefs. You are wrong. Or perhaps all this is one giant language barrier.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hi, guys and thanks to all who replied to my last post. I have spent the last couple of days reading and reading....I especially like to read Carl's excerpts....(spell).....My question is, Leslie mentioned in one of her posts "As the good book says...." What/where can I get the good book, because I'm pretty sure it's not the BIBLE, or is it? I am new to this and truly am WAY confused as I don't have someone to guide me so to speak. Any help is appreciated......Thanks much! Teri :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Teri,

Carl (my husband) surely will appreciate that you are reading what he writes. I look forward to showing him this.

When I referred to the good book I was speaking of the Tao Te Ching. We use the trasnlation by D.C. Lau. By the way we have a link to where you can get any of several books. http://www.centertao.org/translations.php

Take heart. It's good you're confused. If you're not confused, you're not thinking.

We call this the Taoist watering hole. Glad you're here.

Confusedly yours,,
    Leslie
  • edited December 1969
    One of my favorie lines from the play 'Inherit the Wind' which I never tire of quoting: "The bible is a book. It is a good book. But it is not the only book."

So many translations and interpretations of both the bible and the TTC, I suggest reading as many as you can and gleaning what you can best use from the bunch.