Thoughts about Generosity

As so often happens, a bit from The Simpsons comes to mind, when Homer is learning to play golf he's told 'Don't over think' and replies "Not a problem." Such it is with life, and it flows so much smoother...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I'm participating in a meditation group and our most recent discussion was about generosity.

Does anyone have thoughts about generosity -- do you think there is ever true self-less generosity, giving with no expectation of any kind of reward? Do you think a less than generous person can develop generosity by practicing it? How about the way you receive the generosity of others?

We were asked to do an exercise where we give a significant amount of money to a stranger (about $20). I think that act might have a negative impact on the recipient..I know how I would feel if someone handed me money on the street! (What do I look like, a homeless person? I would be horrified.) Would you proceed with this exercise?

Any thoughts are welcome and I will share them with my group.
  • edited December 1969
    I like your question!

I like to think of myself as a pretty generous person. I like to give to people, for a few reasons.

1) I like to see the genuine happiness, gratefulness, and hope that people (or animals, even) seem to exude when they recieve a gift of sorts for no apparent reason.
    2) It makes me *feel* as if I am making a difference in that person (or animal, as the case may be)'s life, in some small way.
    3) I have always believed in the "The more you give, the more you get." It really seems to be true.

So I guess you could say that while I don't really feel as if I'm doing it for self-gain (except for #3, of course.. though that's not my *main* reason...lol) Now that I think about, it would indeed seem as if that is that underlying reason. It makes me happy to do it, so I do.

Very good question.. I can't wait to see what others have to say.

J-lynn
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]
    *...do you think there is ever true self-less generosity, giving with no expectation of any kind of reward? ...

*...Do you think a less than generous person can develop generosity by practicing it? How about the way you receive the generosity of others?...

* True self-less generosity only comes as - "I am you" and "That thou art". It is impossible to be self-less if you are 'hoodwinked' by the illusion of 'self'. Any moment you can see through this trick of mind, let it go of it emotionally and merge with anything, something, nothing, you know true generosity at that instant. Of course, biology will rush back in and you'll feel something less self-less.

Giving something - stuff - junk - to people is what our social instinct drives us to do. We feel (not think, usually) the need to connect with others, solidify our relationships (tribal instinct), and the easiest way to satisfy that urge is to give something material. To give time, understanding, patience... well, that's another matter, eh? Giving stuff is a cheap substitute for compassion and non-directional non-qualified acceptance.

* Nothing can be developed. [chref=29]Whoever lays hold of it will ruin it...![/chref] Oh, no! That can't be. I want to control life and change it to suit my ideal. Just being sarcastic... :) What we do (and how we "receive" life) mirrors who we are, what we need, and how we feel. The exterior mirrors the interior. A perfection of balance. [chref=56]You cannot get close to it, nor can you keep it at arm's length...[/chref]

Of course, such views as these go over like a lead balloon. They tend to take the 'fun' out of human social life... :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks, Carl. I was hoping you would reply. It makes sense: to give selflessly, you have to be beyond the illusion of self.

I think you are most generous with your words and sharing your ideas.

I have an inkling of a pure generosity, where you perceive a need and fill it. It's nothing exalted, nothing that brings you joy necessarily, just you need such and such and I have such and such so take it. It's almost like water running downhill; an excess in one place, a deficiency in another; and balancing that out.

What about Mother Teresa?