I don't even know how to say "Taoist"....a little

edited July 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
hi Carl,
cultivating good virtue means you need to be honest rather than not honest
and its more like changing your bad habit to a proper one where you will not offend anyone including yourself.so a good virtue has to be practiced rather than you dont practice.as for your reply it seem that you dont
bother about this good virtue or its just a normal practice for you not to
take into accounts on whatever you did to others? so my meaning of cultivating good virtue means get rid of the bad habits and stop doing harm to others and i dont get why you cant practice it?please elaborate if you
misunderstand my meaning of cultivating.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hi, my name is Teri and I just watched the final episode of Trading Spouses tonight, July 26th, 2005.....Not going there with that except to say that I am quite disappointed in T.V.
    My question is, WHAT IS TAOISM? Is that even right? I don't know? Truly I need a dictionary pronunciation key, I don't know how to say this, I've NEVER heard of it before. I am sure in REAL life you explained thoroughly what your religion is all about, but it was never told in the show. I did read some of your ABOUT US information but could anyone give me a clear cut version of this religion. For anyone interested, I was raised Catholic and never confirmed----then told by sister Mary Alice "Your going to Hell" and so on......I am 34 and have 3 children but no religion what so ever. I want to be a better mom and I think if I find some balance/harmony etc. in my life maybe I can be. But I don't know how to gain information without asking....If there is anyone who could kindly inform me, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.....BTW, I thought you all were a wonderful family and I guess I kind of WISHED I could feel the way you did.....Thank you so much for reading this! Teri in WI
  • edited December 1969
    I do realize that you probably posted this before looking around. That being said, if you haven't already, you should probably check out the "Taoism and Tao Te Ching" section of this website. Read all of Carl's commentary, and read the discussion sections...

The reason I read this message, is because I was actually wondering the same thing, about the pronunciation. Phonetically speaking, would it be "Taoist" or "Daoist" ? I have been told that the correct way would be to pronounce it with a "D" sound, is that correct?

J-lynn
  • edited December 1969
    Carl can be a little deep. Here's an historical look at Taoism:

History of Taoism:

Tao (pronounced "Dow") can be roughly translated into English as path, or the way. It is basically indefinable. It has to be experienced. It "refers to a power which envelops, surrounds and flows through all things, living and non-living. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the Universe. It embodies the harmony of opposites (i.e. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female.)" 2?

The founder of Taoism is believed by many to be Lao-Tse (604-531 BCE), a contemporary of Confucius. (Alternate spellings: Lao Tze, Lao Tsu, Lao Tzu, Laozi, Laotze, etc.). He was searching for a way that would avoid the constant feudal warfare and other conflicts that disrupted society during his lifetime. The result was his book: Tao-te-Ching (a.k.a. Daodejing). Others believe that he is a mythical character.?

Taoism started as a combination of psychology and philosophy but evolved into a religious faith in 440 CE when it was adopted as a state religion. At that time Lao-Tse became popularly venerated as a deity. Taoism, along with Buddhism and Confucianism, became one of the three great religions of China. With the end of the Ch'ing Dynasty in 1911, state support for Taoism ended. Much of the Taoist heritage was destroyed during the next period of warlordism. After the Communist victory in 1949, religious freedom was severely restricted. "The new government put monks to manual labor, confiscated temples, and plundered treasures. Several million monks were reduced to fewer than 50,000" by 1960. 3 During the cultural revolution in China from 1966 to 1976, much of the remaining Taoist heritage was destroyed. Some religious tolerance has been restored under Deng Xiao-ping from 1982 to the present time.?

Taoism currently has about 20 million followers, and is primarily centered in Taiwan. About 30,000 Taoists live in North America; 1,720 in Canada (1991 census). Taoism has had a significant impact on North American culture in areas of "acupuncture, herbalism, holistic medicine, meditation and martial arts.

from http://www.religioustolerance.org/taoism.htm
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Carl can be a little deep. Here's an historical look at Taoism:

Tao (pronounced "Dow") can be roughly translated into English as path, or the way. It is basically indefinable. It has to be experienced. It "refers to a power which envelops, surrounds and flows through all things, living and non-living. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the Universe. It embodies the harmony of opposites (i.e. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female.)" .....from http://www.religioustolerance.org/taoism.htm

Deep? Me? or maybe just too long winded! :oops: Let me prove it

I'd add that the Taoist thought side of Taoism is not so much a religion as a way of seeing. A Taoist world-view, being as neutral as it is, is not conducive to the political aspects of human nature (i.e., non-neutral and thus leaning this way or that). It is this political side of human spirituality that make the world's religions attract their huge following.

I think of Taoism as a 'religion' of last resort. If all the others fail to satisfy, you can always taste a little Taoism as see how it sounds. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Also, in case you didn't see: What is Taoist Thought?

And (more long-winded): Understanding the Tao Te Ching