Episode Just aired here in Australia

I'm talking about the 'fear' of nothing, silence, stillness, boredom, not the usual 'fear' of something... like being hit or something.

I have just one thing to add and it might be repeating something already said because I came into the discussion late and only quickly read what's been posted.

What Carl says is true. My husband raised his sons using only time-outs as discipline. When the boys misbehaved, they had to go sit in the living room (no man's land) for 10 or 15 minutes with nothing to occupy them. It worked. I can stilll see Phil, sitting in a big armchair, his feet dangling, his head down, a little pout on his face. It was pretty hard to leave him sitting there but we did and it worked.

The other method he used was the threat of withholding a treat....if you don't behave we won't go to Marineland. The boys were never hit.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    This episode was just aired here in Australia Today and will conclude Tomorrow.

It is a real shame the way the Abbott?s have been portrayed in the first episode. I was particularly disgusted at the way in which they tried to portray the father as being incompetent in the home schooling of the children.

Despite the heavy editing, Luke and Kyle nevertheless came across as being 2 very intelligent young men a testament to how they have been brought up by their parents.

I understand that this episode aired quite a while ago over in the US however having just been aired here in Aus I was so outraged that I just needed to come online and follow this up.

I am glad that I stumbled across this website and am glad that the Abbott?s have set the record straight.
  • edited December 1969
    this episode actually aired in the US in 1974.
    Carl is now 90+ years old and still able to throw his leg over his shoulders, just not as often, and needs help getting it back down.
    Luke is married with 14 kids, all of whom sleep in the same room as their folks. He's still learning how to drive (he can almost go in reverse now).
    Kyle stays in the attic blogging and practicing the 45 instruments he plays (he's currently learning the coconut),
    and Leslie carves totem poles out of bamboo and occasionally runs thru the neighborhood screaming "I want a bed!!", before she's carted back home and given herbal tea to calm her nerves...
    ...just thought you'd like an update
  • edited December 1969
    Very funny Buddy!

Cheers,
    Leslie :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    anything I can do to bring a smile to someone's face...usually I do this by NOT posting...