Does anyone get annoyed when people talk funny?

edited July 2005 in The CenterTao Lounge
funny, while i've been sick lately i havent felt like barefooting-not usually something i think about, but i find muself just putting on sandals...one reason, to avoid hassles (since i couldnt talk to argue my point if confronted)...really when ill is when i should go bf more, heal faster when your feet are in touch with the earth- draw from it's power...but when i'm sick i dont think straight...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Just a harmless thread but doesn't it sometimes annoy you?
    For example i hate it when ppl say Ya'll it seriously presses my buttons but i can live with it? What things annoy you in speech?
  • edited December 1969
    well, too many folks are overly focused on how something is said and they miss what is said.

Americans especially seem to love to make fun of accents, mock those who talk differently, even if that person is much more educated than them...

and personally i cuss too much which is often all the person listening hears. I could say "Goddamn, you're on fire!", and they'd stand there and burn and say 'Now, did you have to use the lords name in vain?"

and i say y'all all the time...
  • edited December 1969
    Hey, i happen to not be American but sometimes its really irritating. I like things to be pronounced properly, not in a slang tone. For example here in NZ ppl say, yo sup cuz ma bro? Get that? or Im feelin buzi gonna blaze 2nite? What about that?
  • edited December 1969
    I live in Texas and y'all is part of my vernacular, in fact most everyone I know uses it, along with fix'n too "I'm fix'n to go to the store.

what pushes my button is when someone uses the phrase "I could care less", it is "I could NOT care less". to use "I could care less" indicates that it isn't that big of a deal becaue you COULD CARE LESS.

another is "irregardless", the word is REGARDLESS. irregardless is redundancy, a double negative. The suffix ?-less? on the end of the word already makes the word negative. It doesn?t need the negative prefix ?ir-? added to make it even more negative.
  • edited July 2005
    I've been vacationing in England for the past month, along with side trips to Wales, Ireland, Scotland and France. I was amazed at all the different accents in England, and the different twists on words. We say parking lot, they say car park. We say highway, they say motorway. We say drive, they say motor. We say gas, they say petro. The Europeans aren't afraid to say the word toilet either. They must think it odd when we say rest room.

I had a few people ask me where I was from. My midwestern accent would give me away here in the states.

My paternal great-grandfather grew up near Southampton, England, and then went into Canada. My father's family all have an English, Canadian accent.

My mother's people came from Ireland, New York and Ohio, so all my relatives on her side have a little slang and twang going on with their speech.

I've noticed there are some posters from the UK. Your country is so beautiful. I saw the plains, the coast, the cliffs, the rocks, the hills, and even some crop circles! It was all so beautiful. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the hamlets and thatched cottages. I'm missing those already! I'm planning a trip--er holiday back soon!

Michigander
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    My favorite these days is letting my wife know I'm going out to mow the yard.

"I'm gonna maw the yard, maw!"

As Buddy said, it's not how it's said, but what's said. I do think that kids need to learn basic grammar. But if someone tends to use "ain't", I do know what they mean. My experience is that usually it doesn't help to correct someone, and most people get irritated if they're corrected.
  • edited December 1969
    What annoys me is who decided that the way American English is spoken in Ca is speaking with no regionalisms? Anything that's different from that is called an accent. Who made California the standard? Am I missing something here? :shock:
  • edited December 1969
    lol...
    I just wanted to say that I am from Louisiana, and I say "y'all" all the time (though I usually skip the apostrophe and just type "yall").
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people who are NOT from the south try to make fun of us (i.e. television shows, movies, books, you name it) and incorrectly use it when referring to ONE person. For example, you may see a shopkeeper telling ONE customer, "Y'all come back now, y'hear?". :x
    That always seems to get my blood boiling.. Y'all is a contraction of you + all. Meaning MORE THAN ONE PERSON.. it's just like saying "You all come back now, do you hear?" Now, would you say that to only one person? I would hope not.
    Anyway, that's enough of me venting on one silly little thing... :lol:

J-lynn
  • edited December 1969
    Accents fascinate me. I'm from Virginia, so I have a bit of a southern accent ((random: I say 'yall' all the time)).

I try not to come off as mocking when someone speaks differently, I just think it's cool. One of my best friends is from Massachusetts and it amazes me how much of a difference in slang and regular speaking we have. More than once I've had to define something that I think is everyday language.

Um... yeah, I think I totally avoided the point of the thread, but oh well. My first post. I'm allowed to ramble.
  • edited December 1969
    absolutely, ramble on...this is like my 552nd post and i still ramble...glad to have y'all here.