A POLL (with only 3 questions)

edited September 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
I think about how the chapter talks about how if you want things one way, you must first do the opposite way. I find it important to remember that I cannot control this kind of process; it has to happen in it?s own time. In any ?undesirable? part of my life, who knows how long I might keep pursuing that particular desire, before I truly let go and no longer desire that activity.

I find myself observing the myriad desires going on, and often feel powerless to let go of that desire while it?s actually happening. And I mean truly letting go, not simply saying no to the satisfaction of the desire. For example, if I desire a chocolate bar, but tell myself no, that?s not really letting go of the desire. That?s simply not taking action to satisfy it, but the desire is still there.

I also find myself emotionally wishing I could control the setting up and laying aside of desires for those I love. Especially with my 9 year old daughter. I see the desires she pursues, and wish that I could help her through the frustrations of whatever the situation is. But it?s always easier to identify a process in someone else, and have ?advice?, than to squarely look at the dynamics happening in my own life.

Carl?s comments about having to experience things ourselves, rather than as ideas someone tells us about, really rings true for me. These days I see that what I ?know?, what little wisdom I have, has come from the many experiences in my life. Experiences that have sunk in at the ?cellular? level, not at the intellectual level. I can?t pick out some experiences as worthwhile, and some not; they all come together to make me who I am. Which is perhaps why I?ve always shied away from religions or spiritual pursuits that have a well-defined route you should follow to find peace, contentment, whatever. I don?t think we can just pick up a spiritual syllabus, follow specific steps ABC, and there we are in ?enlightenment?, or whatever the goal is.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    The POLL option only handles 1 question. If you want to answer all 3 questions, list you answer on a 'reply post'.

For example, just write: YYN to answer 1)yes, 2) yes, 3) no.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

1) Are you more mature and wiser now than you were five years ago?

2) Do you think most people would answer question one above as you have?

3) Would they be correct in their assessment?

I'll post the results later. These questions address an important issue which I'll link to after I get some responses... that is, of course, if anyone answers these.
    :)
  • edited December 1969
    Well, I'm not going to read into your poll or over-analyse your questions, though I'm tempted, I'll just answer 'em off the top of my head. And my answers would be:

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    Hey Carl,

That's a hard subject for me. On the one hand, when I look at people in society in general, I seem more mature and wise than when I was younger.

The problem is, I think I'm slowly becoming more self-honest, and I see so much of how I relate to the world as not a whole lot different than when I was younger. These days I'm really seeing my life as a series of desires, which are just as hard to let go of as they were 20 years ago. The difference is I can see how illusionary the satisfaction of desires is, and so I don't put as much stock in satisfying them as when I thought they were "real". In that sense, perhaps there is a bit more wisdom than in my youth.

I think most people would say they are more mature and wiser. I don't necessarily think it would actually be true. For example, I would imagine some people would see maturity as being more responsible, as in working hard for the good life, instead of partying and living only for the day. But to me that's not necessarily maturity, but more just a different set of desires for a different set of circumstances.

But hey, what do I know?

Joe
  • edited December 1969
    I definately am wiser-whether that's made my life better or not is anohter matter altogether. In many ways, it's complicated it.
    I think most people believe 'with age comes wisdom', but the two dont neccessarily go hand in hand. Sometimes age travels alone. Most people think they're good drivers, too...so no, I dont believe most people are correct in thinking they're wiser. They most all have the capacity for wisdom, but like happiness, many of us sabotage our own :shock: chances at it...
  • edited December 1969
    1) Are you more mature and wiser now than you were five years ago?
    **yes

2) Do you think most people would answer question one above as you have?
    **yes

3) Would they be correct in their assessment?
    **yes
  • edited December 1969
    YYN
  • edited December 1969
    My answer to number 1 is.......Yes
    My answer to number 2 is.........Yes
    My answer to number 3 is.......No
  • edited December 1969
    Husband of 16 years and I answered separately: no, no, and no. Sometimes when I think we'll never agree on much again, we surprise ourselves.

Not sure what agreeing on no, no and no really means in this case. Maybe a sign of impending doom, or bliss? We will be curious to see what Carl links to once the results are in.
  • edited December 1969
    YYY
  • edited December 1969
    I would have to say-yes, yes and yes
  • edited December 1969
    1,) Yes
    2.) Yes
    3.) No

I think you should also ask the age group; considering I am 18, 5 years ago, I was 13. Of course I am more wise now.
  • edited December 1969
    1: Y
    2: Y
    3: N

So, either I am wrong or narcissitic, right? lol. :D
  • edited December 1969
    It's time to close this poll. Here is the conclusion: Everyone thinks think they are wiser than they were five years ago and that most folks would likewise answer yes. Not surprisingly about half think people would be wrong in their assessment ? I wonder if they think 'wrong' only applies to other people, or to themselves as well.

Now, consider this hypothesis: As humanity's average age increases through modern medicine, so will humanity's average wisdom. The point being that life is a learning process for each of us, and that if we live longer we naturally become wiser. This is a hopeful scenario of humanity's future.

The poll affirms this principle vis-a-vis everyone's subjective judgement. The hitch comes when we asked about our faith in our fellow man. Does the reluctance to apply the same standard to everyone reflect hypocrisy, superiority (ego), or ???
  • edited December 1969
    the hitch comes when we asked about our faith in our fellow man. Does the reluctance to apply the same standard to everyone reflect hypocrisy, superiority (ego), or ???

Might it be that we are comparing our insides with others' outsides? Meaning, we know what is going on inside ourselves and project our fears on to what we think is going on inside of others.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Might it be that we are comparing our insides with others' outsides? Meaning, we know what is going on inside ourselves and project our fears on to what we think is going on inside of others.

But, sensing that we are wiser than before also comes from within ourselves. Why don't we project that onto other? Mmmm... :idea:

When we regard others as strangers and outsiders, we may be innately more apt to judge them negatively, as in... "they are the 'enemy'... it's 'them', not us, who are messing up the world". It may just be the old tribal instinct at work here as well.
  • edited December 1969
    What I was trying to say is that one might more easily recognize wisdom growing within (the insides) than one could recognize wisdom growing in someone else (their outsides).
  • edited December 1969
    yyn
  • edited December 1969
    hello,

yes, yes and yes...

but what will you gain from asking these questions?

when in fact you already know the awnsers, do you not?

i am intrigued
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] red_tulip:[/cite]...but what will you gain from asking these questions?...

The only hope I have been able to see for our species living in balance with nature (well, at least more balanced), is that modern medicine will be greatly increasing life expectancy - stem cells and what not - over the coming centuries.

Life is a learning process, and the longer a person lives, the more chance there is to 'get it'. Of course, once you get whatever you get, you die and your learning goes with you. The next generation has to relearn it all over. Not factual information, of course, but wisdom - that knowing that we realize through experience (not schooling).

Nevertheless, if in several hundred years, we have a world population whose average age is, say, 150, the social, political and cultural dynamics will be far different - more mature - than currently so. More mature means wiser and more able to life in balance with nature. I proposed this solution at the bottom of an essay of ethics, A Silver Lining.

Anyway, whenever I have asked others what they thought about this 'solution' to humanity's problem, they are unconvinced, especially about the idea that people become wiser as the years go by. So, I put up this poll to 'ask' more people. Interestingly, there are some who believe they are wiser, but that the same doesn't hold true for everyone... curious. :?