Tao Te Ching, English translations

The 'Jesus walked on water' interpretation of this would be that ferocious animals will not pounce on a new born babe. The belief being that one who possesses virtue in abundance will be invincible... objectively speaking! In one way or another, we all seek such security: we buy insurance, take vitamin pills or vitality enhancing potions, wear nice clothes, and... well the list is endless. The ultimate example of such self-salvation is found in humanity's 'spiritual paths'. Here, only the 'born-again' go to heaven. The 'born-again' interpretation of this chapter could be 'only the virtuous Taoist are saved'.

I prefer to interpret this chapter from a subjective point of view. Seen this way, the issue is not how to secure the self. Rather, the issue is the subjective 'self' that feels the need for security in the first place. After all, a new born babe has not yet formed an idea of self. Once we believe in a separate self, we launch our self into a life long quest to save 'it' (add to 'it', secure and protect 'it', show 'it' off, and so forth).

The breath corresponds to our original new born nature. The mind corresponds to what we learn subsequently. First, we learn the 'illusion of self*'. Next, we learn a world-view to which we can cling in order to bolster that 'illusion of self'. Once the mind establishes it-self, it imagines possibilities and eggs on the breath to achieve them, and then hangs on to them for dear life. We forget our new born babe, rush on [chref=52] to know the child[/chref], and eagerly [chref=36]strengthens[/chref] its notions of self. The fact that we set up the self is part of our humanity, but we can only find true harmony when our 'illusion of self' is [chref=36]laid aside[/chref] enough to know the new born babe again.

* As Buddha said, 'The illusion of self originates and manifests itself in a cleaving to things'

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Not reading Chinese, I must approach the Tao Te Ching in translation. I'm curious what versions people here prefer.

I was first introduced to the Tao Te Ching by Stephen Mitchell's version. He refrains from calling it a 'translation' because he worked from other, more literal English translations and freely reinterpreted as he saw fit. It's still the version I'm most familiar with.

I know that the Abbotts use the DC Lau translation. To me, the language of this version (and some others I've looked at) is not as satisfying. It seems important to me that the TTC functions as poetry as much as philosophy.

What thoughts do you have about literalism vs poetic license in translation? Those of you who have a preferred translation - what about it do you prefer?
  • edited December 1969
    Stewart

I've read a number of different translations over the years and the Lau one is good. There is another one that you might find helpful. It's called the Wisdom of Lao Tse by Lin Yutang. There are the odd parts where I'm not entirely happy with the translation, however, after each Chapter of the Tao Te Ching there are translations of sections from Chuang Tse which the author feels have a bearing on that part of the text. This is a very enlightening way of study both texts together. Where are you based? If it's in the States, try www.abebooks.com. This is a website that brings together a vast number of second-hand book dealers in the States, Europe and the UK - it's how I got my own copy of this book :wink:

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 1969
    Let me just add that we have a selection of our favorite translations, as well as a lot of commentary, etc. from Papa at this address:

http://www.centertao.org/translations.php

Oh, and sorry I didn't respond to this sooner!