Saw The TS Show

You are Taoist. How can you say such things. It is rude to say, we like someone and "do not hold their intolerance against them." Shouldn't one be open minded enough to acknowledge different views? We can learn from each and every one, by not judging them. By saying what you said, you are as guilty as judging as the one you point fingers at.

While the editing of your experience may have been of the "sensational" is it not possible that Vicki had something of value to say, something you could learn from, or was it truely, "lies". Obviously her life experience was quite different from yours, but different or traditional has never equalled "wrong or bad". We learn from each and every experience, that's why we have them.

Write about what you have learned from this woman, not your disappointment with the media- that's sorta expected!

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I watched the television show with the Abbotts, and after watching both shows, was convinced this family were fruitcakes.

Then, through a link on the aol message board(of all places, huh), I found the website the Abbotts made to defend their family, and refute the editing practices of Fox. What I read has made me really stop and reconsider my knee jerk condemnation of this family who is quite different than mine. I am not stupid, I realize that through editing anyone can be portrayed as anything the editors wish. But it really seems that Fox went overboard in their portrayal of the Abbott family.

I honestly thought the parents(Abbotts) were controlling. I also wondered how and why the heck a family who eschews furniture and tv would have applied for a reality show in the first place!!

Reading Luke's letter about preconceived notions of what is the 'norm' in America made me think. He is absolutely right about that.

I am glad I found this website, and read the family's websites on their television appearance. I no longer find them even strange, and I feel awful for thinking they were fruitcakes, now that I have heard the behind the scenes story on this.

I won't stop watching the show, but I know that now I will be breaking out the Morton's with each episode, and will consider the show to be entertainment more than reality. I am sure with almost 200 hrs of footage, I could be made to seem absolutely frightening!!(well, especially in the mornings!).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this show with people, I am now going to browse around the rest of the site and actually take a few moments to broaden MY horizons, by seeing what some of your true belief system entails.