Your least favorite thing

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Hmmm ....

I was raised as a Buddhist. I do not know much about Tao, but I have read some of the wisdom in the book.

I would definately agree that Buddhism finds its path inside of us.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I understand taoism is about taking what comes and dealing with it, going with the flow, making it work for instead of against you.
    Nonetheless, we all have things in our life that we dislike, but which we still have to do on a regular basis. Sure, everything can be solved and turned to your advantage but that takes time and, until then, it s a pain in the butt.
    Maybe it's going to the dentist, or visting the in laws, or...

Mines driving. I detest driving-If I get rich, first thing I'll do is hire a chauffer 24&7.

I've never liked it, didnt even have a car till my mid 20's, but at this point in my life it's a necessity. I live close enuf to work (2 miles) to walk or bike, and occasionally do-but on my late shift going to work at midnight is a bit spooky and dangerous.

My dojo is 5 miles away, and my kid lives nearly that far.
    I could take buses, but they're a pain, given that I have to make this trip back & forth sometimes 4 times a day.
    Also, I've an old feud with the bus line (long story) plus they're full of freaks I prefer not to be around-plus they dont run on Sundays or after 11pm...

Walking is, of course, also possible, but I'm not Johnny Appleseed here-when I first got to town I walked 10 miles a day or so, but I was 15 years younger then...riding a bike is also a choice, but to get across town, you have to go thru town, and Salem is not biker friendly...I have friends who ride 50 miles a day for fun, but then so does Lance Armstrong, and he got testicular cancer...
    This summer I want to move to a bigger place, & to afford this it looks like I'll be moving out of town, which will mean more driving...

Oh well, working on my patience and attitude. Thats all I can do.
    Share your pain...
  • edited December 1969
    Hypocrites and liars.
  • edited December 1969
    I believe it helps to talk about things that cause us to suffer...it takes some of the power out of it to bring it out in the open. I'm all for it.

But better still is to take a look at how such adversions cause us to suffer and to use our practice to bring some space and choice into the problem.

I've been reading about how our adversions hook us into feeling anger, jealousy, self-denigration and then acting out those feelings. For example, someone criticizes your kid. Immediately you feel ill at ease, closed, tightened up and then maybe you act. If you could pause and bring some clarity and space between the words of criticism and your action, then you could decide not to act. Maybe you could bring some compassion towards the person doing the criticism. At the very least, you sharpen your awareness.

It's something to practice over a lifetime, not something I expect to get perfect this time around!