Luke's letter to the editors of TS, written before The Show

Those controversy scanvenging message boarders don't know what they're talking about 'cause the show was inaccurate.(and they are as well) Those Rhizopods make a deal about anything they can get their hands on. They don't know anything about my attitude 'cause the show didn't let me say much about anything. I know that if the board loses interest, some of them make controversy just to get the excitment. Yep, the one place to find trusting truth is on a message board. I can tell you just came from it.

I'm telling you what's true and most people don't understand. You can't say disrespect somebody in hope of getting respect. It's almost like action/reaction. if your action is respectful, you will get respect back. If your action is disrespectful, the last thing you'll get is respect. That's why I don't respect message boarders or you.

If you trust TV so much, than you must have come out of the twilight zone. . . in black & white perspective.

I've given up trying to get you to wake up. You're hopeless. You and all the other ignorant fools at the message board. Why don't you rancourous coiffured old message boarding sows swing the doughnuts out of your ears and knock some sense into that dormant organ you all keep hidden in that rat's maze of yours!? All you bombarding nitwits have in life is a hopeless excuse for living and a TV . . . and a computer you use at the library to make your frivolous posts! You toffee nosed pile of tarts can't think for yourself and all group up into a muddle and throw dirt clods to protect yourselves from your own pathetic lies and lives! :evil:

Now, who's up for a round of golf?

Comments

• edited December 2004
    Just dug this up, and thought it was very interesting :!:

After Vickie left for Nashville, and before my mom returned home, I spent several hours consolidating my thoughts on the experience. As I said before, I was editing the entire show in my head as they were filming, and I was very confident in my estimation of what they would focus on, namely, Vickie's opinions regarding independence. I wanted to make sure that the executives in charge of story production at FOX and Rocket Science Labs (the company which produces the show) knew exactly what my views were on that subject, even though we had talked about it every night during the interviews. So I wrote them this letter. It's a bit long, but it's an interesting look into what I was thinking about the whole thing before the filming had even finished.

Read it here: http://www.playingbyear.com/ts/Luke-Letter-to-Story.aspx
    [cite] Luke's Letter:[/cite]October 29, 2004

Dear Rocket Scientists,

In every episode of this program, each family's story tends to
    center around one central issue. It seems clear to me that, for
    the Santa Cruz half of the story, the theme will be based on
    the (apparently) opposing views regarding going out and "seeing
    the 'real' world." . . . read more
  • edited December 1969
    Luke, my sincerest thanks for sharing that letter with us. I enjoyed it tremendously, and that letter is PROOF positive of what a mature, intelligent, wise-beyond-your-years young man you really are.

I've been reflecting on several issues since this whole brouhaha emerged with your family's reality tv experience. It's brought to light so many of my OWN beliefs, hangups, and emotions regarding the raising of my own kids (who are still quite young at 3 and 5). Watching Trading Spouses and Wife Swap, regardless of their veracity, DOES generate meaningful discourse, as well as various things to ponder while I'm folding laundry lol! I remember the parents on Wife Swap two weeks ago talking about how they couldn't WAIT for their kids to grow up and leave home - and the kids were only about 11 and 15! How sad for everyone in that family. Kids on other episodes have had the same feelings - anxious at a very young age to leave home. Seeing some of the family dynamics, it's pretty obvious why the kids want to leave!

I left for college at 17 and, like those kids, couldn't WAIT to move out. My home environment was oppressive, negative, and stifling. I try to be mindful each and every day of how I treat my children, and the tone I set for our family interactions. I don't want to have kids who are anxiously waiting to get away from me as quickly as possible! Although, in this country, that's seen as the desirable norm - the ONLY way it should be. When I talk to people about this issue, they feel I am naive, the typical mom of young children who actually still believes one can have teenagers who don't hate their parents. How silly of me, right? :roll:

I know I'm rambling, but your letter brought all these things to my mind. Your family's story (regardless of Fox's mutilation of it) will stay with me for a LONG time, and in many ways will inform my decisions and actions as a parent.

So, the moral of this long story is -- Luke, you got majorly screwed by Fox, but you have nonetheless helped MY family and many others who looked past the show and wanted to know the truth. In a world where I am constantly told I'm doing things WRONG where my kids are concerned, you are living proof that I've got the right idea, and that my kids are going to turn out fine regardless of what "mainstream America" might think.

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Kyle this article reminded me of your case...........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6407884/
    [cite] Kim Reed, MSNBC contributor:[/cite]. . . Reality television has provided viewers with many memorable moments in the past few years, but so often, the participants claim that those moments were manufactured or fabricated in the editing room

In all of these cases, reality show participants willingly signed up for what they probably imagined would be fame and potential fortune. Instead, they ended up with more enemies than fans.

When taken point by point, it's possible that these reality show participants have a case that the editing was misleading. But the editors and story producers have to take each of these moments and paste them together to create an overall representation of each participant, and perhaps more importantly, make an entertaining narrative.

According to one story producer for a network reality show, "If you did it and it got caught on film, it doesn't matter how much other delightful stuff you did ? you can't blame the editors for using the good stuff, and you can't claim they fabricated it." . . .
  • edited December 1969
    you can't blame the editors for using the good stuff, and you can't claim they fabricated it."

Ah, but you CAN make that claim when they splice your words together to make you "say" things that you never in a million years would say.

I was thinking more on the Wife Swap / Trading Spouses situation, and how Wifeswap doesn't seem to do the tricky editing that TS does. Do you think this has anything to do with the cash prize on TS? Maybe Fox feels like since they're paying the family $50,000, that gives them license to do what they please, no matter how dishonest? And if the families cry foul, there's always the threat of not getting the money, or being sued to return the money? Just something I've been pondering today.

Susan
  • edited December 2004
    [cite] fabian:[/cite]. . . In all of these cases, reality show participants willingly signed up for what they probably imagined would be fame and potential fortune. Instead, they ended up with more enemies than fans. . . . According to one story producer for a network reality show, "If you did it and it got caught on film, it doesn't matter how much other delightful stuff you did ? you can't blame the editors for using the good stuff, and you can't claim they fabricated it."
    We did not sign up for fortune. We most certainly did not sign up for fame. We expected thousands of people to dislike our family, call us freaks, etc. The editors did not simply distort our story. They flipped it 180 degrees. If one of the RSL story producers told me that to my face (and meant it) I would want to strangle him.

Fabian, you've made your point. We get it. You believe reality TV is real. Fine. I'm not going to try to change your mind. But there's no need to try and change our mind. It's never going to happen. We know the truth.
  • edited December 1969
    You've missed my point. You guys got a dose of reality about 'reality tv'. get over it!
  • edited December 1969
    Hang in there, Susan...not every teenager HAS to hate their parents! I have a 16-yr-old daughter who actually talks to me, enjoys my company (most of the time) and has not vowed to leave home the moment she is old enough to do so. Her friends think that I am one of the best moms they have ever met and wish that I could adopt them. :D The secret? Respect your kids, LISTEN to them when they talk, and give them space to make their own decisions whenever you can. Your kids are still little and it will be a long time before the issues of how to handle teenagers will really come up. But if you start now to see your children as individuals in their own right, give them space, give them a chance to formulate their own opinions, and support them in their decisions as much as you can, you might very well be rewarded with kids who don't see you as Public Enemy #1 as soon as they hit their teen years.

It has been so refreshing to read Luke and Kyle's letters and postings and to see that there are intelligent, articulate teenagers in this country. Your kids can be among that group when they get older as long as you continue to believe that you know what you are doing in raising them. Don't be swayed by what you think that "society" deems necessary in raising your kids. Believe in your own abilities and you will do just great! :)
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks, Joanne. And believe me, I won't be swayed by the masses. As I seem to be saying regularly these days (about both ME and my kids), I've seen normal, and I want NO part of it! :wink:

We are the resident "freaks" in our neighborhood, and in southern Louisiana people are not as liberal and open-minded as I imagine people in California to be. I got tired of always defending myself, so now we just don't socialize with the neighbors much :roll:

Anyway, it's just nice to see living proof that a family similar to ours has produced such wonderful kids / young men. Makes me feel better about our choices, even though no one else seems to understand them.

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Joanne, you descibed the "secret" perfectly. Respect your kids, listen to them, and last but not least, don't get in their way! This is how I was raised, and because of that, I never had a "teenage rebellion." Joanne, you've done what most parents in America have not. My hat's off to you.

As far as TS v. WS, that's an interesting idea. It's a complicated thing, what with all the contractual agreements we signed and whatnot. I won't get into it.
  • edited December 1969
    Great letter Luke. But as it was meant for tv people, you should have used crayon and shorter words, and lots of pretty pictures...

it makes me very sad hearing (& having lived) the idea that some parents cant wait for their childen to leave-I NEVER want to be seperated from my kid for very long, and that won't change even when he's 55 years old...and he's not even my blood relation...I enjoy his company so much, I learn so much from him, he makes me laugh & think & if he decides to go off somewhere far away , I trust him enuf to know it'll be the right thing and I'll wish him well...but having him around doesnt 'crimp my style' and having him gone wont mean 'i'll finally have time to do what I want'...
    the relationship between child & parent is the most involved, incredible, dynamic, & amazing opportunity one can ever have-and too few realize that...
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks, Luke, for the affirmation. You may not yet realize this, but having a teenager tell you (as an adult) that you are doing the "right thing" is truly rewarding. :wink:

I think that most parents have heard the adage "choose your battles wisely"...the problem is that too many parents believe that every little disagreement, every small step out of place is grounds for battle. What I learned from years of teaching and even more years of parenting is that most battles really aren't worth fighting. I have had times when my daughter and I disagreed quite vehemently about things, but if I stood my ground quietly and simply reminded her of what my values are (and why they are important to me) she would often stop and reassess what she was doing. No fights, no slammed doors, no tears (well, maybe only a few), and no hard feelings. Just mutual understanding. It works.

There are, of course, times when battles MUST be fought. But those times are saved for the most extreme circumstances, when my many years of life experiences might just prevent a very major disaster. But otherwise, how do we expect our children to grow up to be wise and capable adults if we don't let them make as many decisions as possible while they are still relatively safe within the reach of our arms? :?:
  • edited December 1969
    I generally try not to say 'no' to my kid, but rather tell him 'thats not the way I would do it', or 'thats not the choice I would make', or, less often, 'I'd be disappointed if you think that's the best choice you could make', or something along those lines...it's so much more fun to give him options, manke him think and consider, give him a say in our lives instead of me being a dictator...and believe me, i'm no 'push over dr spock kids will be kids' type-i'm all for 'tough love', but it neednt ever reach that point...