difference between Taoism and Buddhism ???

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
About Survivor contestants breaking down . . . I think it's because of how draining the experience is. All the Survivors say that it is the most amazing experience of their entire lives. If you read between the lines of that, you get the feeling that these people have experienced over the course of 39 days, in terms of emotional ups and downs, what they would normally experience over the course of several years. Plus, you have to experience all that emotional turmoil without the comfort of anyone you know or can trust. So when they finally see a loved one, they might as well have been gone for years.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have no ... ummm .. "faith" in western religon. It leaves me feeling lacking in something. I am reading/learning about Buddhism and would like to know the basic differences between Taoist thought and Buddhist. I have a hard time with being a vegitarian as I like eating meat, and living in the US, one has to acculate "wealth" in order to live in to day society. I try to follow the 8 fold path and believe in the 4 noble truths.

I watched the second episode of Trading Spouses and liked your family. Your sons are very fine young men and if they are examples of how Taoist thought molds young mids, then it must be a fine religon to follow. I know that the show was edited heavily and not everythng shown was/is how your family really is but one can peel away the false and perusing this site I have a better understanding of your family, a very fine family and y'all would be good people to call friend.

thanks and regards,
    peace,
    bob
  • edited December 1969
    To me, only my view, and this is a way over simplified version of it, the main difference is Taoism sees a 'way' out in nature that man can tap into, while Buddhism sees this 'way' as being inside each person...
    -anyone agree, disagree?
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks buddy, that does make since and I think you may be right.
  • edited December 1969
    I would only offer the following quote from the Tao Te Ching; interpret it any way you want:
    [cite] Chapter 47 of the Tao Te Ching:[/cite]Without stirring abroad
    One can know the whole world;
    Without looking out of the window
    One can see the way of heaven.
    The further one goes
    The less one knows.

Therefore the sage knows without having to stir,
    Identifies without having to see,
    Accomplishes without having to act.
    [chref=47][ch.47][/chref]
  • edited December 1969
    Hmmm ....

I was raised as a Buddhist. I do not know much about Tao, but I have read some of the wisdom in the book.

I would definately agree that Buddhism finds its path inside of us.