From 'The Parting of the Way' by Holmes Welch

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
There is so many threads on CenterTao that I have to keep up with, I don't have much time for blog. Plus, there ain't much to say in the blog. Recently, I've been just writing. Tomorrow, I'll have something to say 'cause we're gonna play at a Christmas gig (free food!). So I'll promise to write something on that and if I don't, my christmas present to you is a lesson about dissapointment. :wink: (A partial quote from TV Guide's Simpson christmas card article) Seriously though, you might have to remind me if I forget.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    This is a rather well known taoist book from 1957. In it, the author imagines (admittingly reluctantly, since words are of course self defeating) what Lao Tze would say in regard to modrn problems.
    Here's his take on public relations ie, mass media:
    "It is more than foolish, it damages character. It turns some people into monkeys who do not care what they are so long as everyone knows it. It turns other people into peacocks who do not care what they are as long as other people admire it. And it spreads like a plague, damaging the character of all the Hundred Families. Soon there will be no one in your country for whom an appearance on television is not a cause for rejoicing, whereas actually it is a calamity."