couplets

edited December 2004 in Tools of Taoist Thought
A sculpin. You can read a little bit about it in my rebuttle to the Kyle's Rude post.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I'm thinking on this...isnt it all just word games-do we need corresponding words-wouldn't any two do? green and sock, car and tree...words are all equal, arent they...to distinguish any two by comparing them just limits our quest even more, hinders our search for ultimate communication...
  • edited December 1969
    more on this, may be related or not-just thinking out loud...what do i have left if I give up words? I have built my life on words-they protect me, shelter me, keep the world at arms lenghth-I'm not pohysically impressive, i have neither money or great intelligence to get me by...I use humor, insults, great statements of others to build this person I am...
    what do I do if I have to look instead to the deep quiet within...what'll be there?...what if nothings there?...
    I recognize & respect the power of silence- i've practiced it now and then and benefitted from it-but man, i'm already so far removed from the ordinary world... do I want to give up what tenous grip I have on it, & leave it completely...or surrender to it and give up my quest...
  • edited December 1969
    when i'm trying to tell my children how much i love them, words truly become inadequate.
  • words are tools, are handles we use to get some sort of a grip on the ungraspable. they lose their usefulness, and in fact become detrimental, when we lose sight of the fact they are tools and use them to replace the things they describe:

[chref=1][see ch.1][/chref]

the Way is itself, not its name.
    a name is a name, not the thing.
    from non-named come all things and their names.

is your intended the name or the thing?
    can you sublimate both Way reclaimed?
  • Not to nit pick, but translating / interpreting the Tao Te Ching too far a field from the actual Chinese can be misleading. Even as faithful Chinese to English wording as possible is problematic. Not that this matters really, because I feel understanding actually originates from the inner eye, so to speak. To put it bluntly, you can only understand what you already know.. The following is fairly close to the literal Chinese...

The way possible to think, runs counter to the constant way.
    The name possible to express runs counter to the constant name.
    Without description, the universe began.
    Of the describable universe, the origin.
    Hence, normally without desire so as to observe its wonder.
    Normally having desire so as to observe its boundary.
    These two are the same coming out, yet differ in name.
    The same, meaning dark and mysterious.
    Dark and dark again – mysterious.

I also think of words as tools; tools for social connection. A dog has a sensitive nose and connects through smell. Part of that connection is the somewhat odd fact that we use words to communicate with ourselves, work out our story so to speak. When we believe the words we think are reality, (to think that we know), we run into difficulty.
  • It helped me to realise that meaning is not in the words but in me. When I hear and understand a word, the meaning is called from my subconscious mind into consciousness - along with all the baggage I and my culture have associated with it. Taoism seems to be helping me to focus on the experience that the words are trying to express. A smattering of Greek helps here. The Greek word for 'truth', aletheis contains the meaning 'the reality behind the form'. This seems to me to be like the Taoist 'named' and 'unnamed', the corporeal arising from the incorporeal. Thus the words are merely the form manifestation of the hidden. Both are important, but for different reasons.
  • an act can speak a 1000 words / your giving words power they do not have unless you bow to their will /