Question...

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
I agree with most ... but not all ... of what you say here Carl.

I am without a doubt more independent since leaving home.

I WANTED to leave home and experience a new lifestyle and city. I was feeling "claustrophobic" at home. Coming to college has been a breath of fresh air.

I live on my own save for a roomie who keeps me up at all times of the night because I can't sleep with his TV going.

I do everything on my own and can't rely on my parents. The teachers are also great and teach me fascinating things. The only gripe I have is homework! :roll:

The fact of the matter is thus: You cannot get a high-paying, responsible (as in, with big duties) job without going to college. Now is this 100%? No. But if you want to get a job that you enjoy that pays a lot and whatnot, you have to go to college.

No newspaper. .. I repeat, no newspaper, will hire a fresh out of high school guy to cover sports. You have to go to college and learn journalism.
College's main function is to train children to do the skills needed for a modern society: engineers, doctors, lawyers and so on. Great! Alas, it also serves to 'brain wash' young's minds into the culture's paradigm.

You know, society functions more smoothly when everyone marches to the beat of the same drummer: clothes, shoes, books, music, religion, slang, politics, food.

But see, there's still a lot of diversity. There are so many majors and so many different jobs and so many choices to make that I don't think it's fair to say college makes everyone the same, so to speak.

I love college. It has given me a break from home, which I need. I can't just leave home and get an apartment right away because I don't have the money for it. I'd have to find a job ... and somehow scrape the money up to get one. But now I don't!

I can work in the summer to build up a nest egg for myself while learning what I need to learn, and when it's over, landing a pretty high-paying job (although journalists do not exactly make much) doing what I enjoy.

You say that college opening peoples' mind is a myth ... but I can tell you ... it's not. At least not for me.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I was just curious to know the reasoning in not wearing any shoes. I think I may have missed it during the episode, so I just thought that I'd ask.

((Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but where did you get these emoticons? :o They're the same as the ones on my favorite anime forum. Just curious. ^_^))

Thanks.
  • edited December 1969
    Please see How Papa brainwashed the kids to always go barefoot on this site...

Oh, and these emoticons came with phpBB, the software package that runs this site...
  • edited December 1969
    Open Source rules.