CAR

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
ditto! thats the extent of MY vocabulary...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    On a lighter side, just wondering did you ever get a car?
  • edited December 1969
    Get a Subaru...they run forever.
  • edited December 1969
    I can't remember how much money given for the car.

Hey Luke, if you don't it, you can always get me a cute convertable ;)
  • edited December 1969
    We got $4000 for the car. Haven't bought one yet. Actually, we were planning on getting one anyway, before the show. Even took some test drives. But still haven't found the right one . . .
  • edited December 1969
    I never had a car till my mid 20's-walked or biked most everywhere-amd did people look at me like I was a freak! Some friends would pass by when i was walking, and offer me a ride, and actually get mad when i'd decline because I wanted to walk! LOL. and if i was walking barefoot, it was the talk of the town for days after...

unfortunately, i only walk between the couch and the bathroom now-drive WAY too much (and I'm a very impatient driver, drives my blood pressure up)-but i'm slowly getting my walking jones back on...
  • edited December 1969
    Oh, and one other thing -- and this is really ironic -- I didn't have much interest in getting my license until about six months ago (I didn't have a lot of places to go where I couldn't get rides, and I like biking). It was my DAD who has been wanting me to get my license; he's been wanting that for TWO YEARS! He'd be more than happy to get me driving, especially if it means he doesn't have to drive four hours straight going to a bluegrass festival... :-)
  • edited December 1969
    You should try a used hybrid. I'm not sure if the price has gone down on them yet, but they are so adorable. I love my little Honda Civic Hybrid. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • edited December 1969
    Hey Luke! Get a covertible Viper with power-steering, halogen blue lights, gull-wings, 55MM auto-reloading turrets, GPS tracking, leather seats, automatically opening glove box, drink holder and mines! It should be just under $4000 if you go to the used . . . Pre-owned shops. :wink:

Isn't it goofy that stores call things pre-owned instead of used, calling customers "guests" as in "employees needed over at Guest Service!" (instead of customer service) over the intercom?

Another thing while I'm off-topic. I'm eating some assorted chocolates while I'm typing and I just thought of something. Since I just cut them in half to see what they are, shouldn't the maker just pre-cut 'em? It would save a lot of spitted morsels.
  • edited December 1969
    this is rampant at my job-juvenile corrections facility-sooo politically correct-we have to call the kids 'residents' rather than 'inmates'-when i started there was a movement to call them 'guests' but it never got off the ground. I just recently got reminded not to use the term 'medicate' when i log that a resident took meds, as this has negative connotations of 'vombifying the kids' or some such...I could go on & on...
    sometimes it's like Grandpa Simpson's nursing home, where a sign reads: 'Please dont discuss the outside world with residents'-this place does nothing to prepare the youths for real life in the real world. they'll all end up reality tv programmers...
  • edited December 1969
    Pretty soon, they'll call interrogations, "jolly chinwags with the residents." :wink:

As for the hybrid that dairyberry808 was talking about, I hear that people who have Hybrids get free parking, free carwash, free coffee (I'm not sure about the coffee), they get to go in the carpool lane, etc. It pays for itself in the amenities and gas department. Plus, it's soooo whisper quiet! You can run over somebody and they won't know what hit 'em! :D :wink:

We were looking at Honda Civics at one point. The hybrids do seem a bit pricey though. How much was yours?
  • edited December 1969
    Like I need a hybrid to run over somebody...

just the other night I hit a pothole in the street and my kid very seriously says 'I think you just hit somebody!' and i'm like 'No, I'm pretty sure i didnt hit anybody." LOL
  • edited December 1969
    A few days ago, Luke got the gas and brake pedals mixed up and almost crashed into a building.
  • edited December 1969
    ohmygoodness, lol
    I did the same thing at a red light once. Good thing there were no other cars around.
  • edited December 1969
    With the pedals so close, it's just like how I chord one string and pick the other (if you know what I mean).
  • edited December 1969
    dont let him ever drive a manual transmission...

my seat belt once got looped around the lever that controls the seat (like Luke in the show)-I pulled on it and the seat went back, the car went forward, and I rear ended a guy at a light. He gets out and he's big and bald and mean looking and i thought 'what a stupid way to die'...but he was nice and there was no damage...
  • edited December 1969
    Manual Trasmission? You mean a stickshift?

Wow! What story. If you're ever at a party and it's getting lame, you can tell that to break the ice. :D
  • edited December 1969
    yeah, stick shift-they're fun, but there's that extra pedal to worry about-
    I cant wait for my kid to start driving (though of course that'll be one more thing for me to worry about, him on the road)-seems most of our daily business is at one end of the town or the other-back and forth...

My brother hasnt had a license for years-he walks most everywhere-I get sooo tired of driving-unfortunately I'm a bad passenger as well. On the drive to Vegas (24 hours each way), I let my brother take the wheel after a few hours, within the first 5 minutes he almost hit a deer. Boy, that'll straighten your hair... I took the wheel back over for the rest of the trip...

btw, it's not illegal to drive barefoot, in case anyones wondering...

as for biking, I just started again after several years-I ride to work now & then (ok, not for weeks now, but it's been cold!) 2 miles each way, and my gears are broke so it's really hard to pedal, but that makes it a great leg workout...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]btw, it's not illegal to drive barefoot, in case anyones wondering...
    Interesting . . . that true? Or is it different in california? I heard that, but I drive barefoot anyway. I have so much tactile control that way, as opposed to shoes. Driving with shoes is like trying to type with mittens on . . . at least for me. Much safer to drive barefoot.
  • edited December 1969
    I ride my bike around when I go places but recently (recently meaning in July) my bike has seemed to be getting smaller (probably because I've gotten bigger) so I got another bike we have. I had to configure the gears a bit 'cause they were *clicking* but when I got it working, I had another problem. My rear brake wasn't working very well. I haven't gotten around to fixing it but what I do is if I need to stop, I slam (pull) on the rear break lever (which doesn't do much) and gently pull the front brake and that does the same as just pulling a functional rear break on full. The bad side about that is I can't make any satifying skid marks or kick up dust on dirt pathways.

Another story, we were biking at a lagoon (with a boardwalk going through the lagoon so people can walk) called Neary's Lagoon at a leisurly pace but Luke didn't want me riding so close to him (in case he breaked and I didn't). So we were biking down the narrow boardwalk when he slammed on his breaks to prove his point. I reflexively pulled both brakes and I got flung over the handlebars and almost got tipped over in the lagoon.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Luke Abbott:[/cite]
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]btw, it's not illegal to drive barefoot, in case anyones wondering...
    Interesting . . . that true? Or is it different in california? I heard that, but I drive barefoot anyway. I have so much tactile control that way, as opposed to shoes. Driving with shoes is like trying to type with mittens on . . . at least for me. Much safer to drive barefoot.

Are you serious? I have driven barefoot (I didn't have a choice one day) and it was so hard. I found I couldnt apply as much pressure, and my foot was just flopping all over the place. Since then, I only drive barefoot when it's a matter of pulling in and out of the driveway.
  • edited December 1969
    I guess people who always wear shoes don't know how to use their feet... :D
  • edited December 1969
    :shock: ooooohhhh! Tension mounts.
  • edited December 1969
    I think I agree with Luke on the whole barefoot driving. How does one drive with shoes? I personally find it quite impossible. The only time I ever got the petals mixed up was when I was wearing shoes. My feet like to feel the lines on the petal. Also, the gas petal has the grooves going one direction and the brake has them going the other. That is how I know what petal I'm on. Is that true for all cars? I think the gas is vertical lines while the brake is horizontal. Though I'm not sure.

However, I'm also the type that only wears slippers (flipflops) out of the house, and slippers always tend to get caught on something. hmmmm.... :? :? :? :?
  • edited December 1969
    I rarely ever have been barefoot but have driven a few times with bare feet and although it takes some getting used to, it really isn't that hard. You are right though that the whole pressure thing is different versus wearing shoes.

And I do know how to use my feet 8)
  • edited December 1969
    as is always my response to any questions about barefoot legal (or health or any other) issues, go to the Society for Barefoot Living website -barefooters.org or unshod.org, I think they are-all will be revealed

-certainly just as with nudity, there may be indiviual ordinances which prohibit this or that, but overall it's legal-I've been stopped quite a few times by traffic cops (I drive like a bat out of hell-I have important business, get out of my way!) and not a one has ever said a thing about my bare feet.

as for bikes: i just recently started riding again-and have managed to thrice get my lace caught in the pedal-so i couldnt pedal, and I couldnt pull it loose, and had to just try & coast and slow down -once fell over right in front of work (I could hear them shaking their heads & saying 'uh oh Buddy's drinking again'...)-so theres a case for barefoot bike riding right there...

but man I hate bike helmets, but the deal is, if my kid has to wear one, so do I...
  • edited December 1969
    Um......To say it's not illegal to drive bare foot is incorrect. In many States ( Arizona to be one ) It is Illegal to drive bare foot, and if pulled over you will recieve a ticket for it. Happened to a friend of mine who constantley went bare foot. She carried shoes with her for places where they had to be worn, but otherwise she always went barefoot. Sooooooo If your wishing to drive Bare foot...check your state laws first.
  • edited December 1969
    I heard that in CA, it is illegal to drive barefoot.
  • edited December 1969
    really???? hmmm... How do they check?
    :? :? :? :?
  • edited December 1969
    well, typed 'barefoot driving laws' into the computer, and came up with sevral sites-none of which say anything about it being illeagal anyplace.
    'Ask Yahoo' from 9/04 confirms it's leagl in Michican and Cali, and gives several sites to check the rest, but says they could find no place where it's illegal.
    AAA publishes a 'Digest of Motor Laws'-a summary of laws & regulations pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles in the US, it's territories, & Canada-and it states 'Drivng while barefoot is permitted', period.

Just as with stores, many times what cops believe to be illegal is just myth...
  • edited December 1969
    It's not illegal to drive barefoot in California, or in most other states.
    See http://tafkac.org/legal/driving.barefoot/driving_barefoot.html in which one Jason Heimbaugh wrote to the DMV in all 50 states and DC and asked. 42 responded and none had laws against driving a car barefoot (Alabama specifically requires shoes for riding a motorcycle).

Arizona was one of the 9 that didn't reply, but I don't see anything in the Arizona Revised Statutes (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp ) that says anything about it.