Chapter of the Week: #40 [Archive]

The most submissive thing that I can conceive of is nothing. Nothing, and its passive correlates, silence, death, loss, vacuum, failure, etc., are without substance. My innate fear of the most submissive drives me to act. As the years pass I'm more able to face, and even embrace, the submissive. Embracing the submissive makes life more peaceful. That being so, why didn't I start doing this earlier or do it more now? As I see it, my fear of the submissive. Ironic, eh?

An important aspect of raising my children has been knowing the benefit of resorting to no action. And this only occurred because I had kids latter in life, after becoming sufficiently [chref=36]weakened[/chref]. Thus [chref=36]weakened[/chref], I can let the teaching that uses no words guide us all. Simply put, I don't get in their way by projecting my own fears and insecurities into their lives. I'm able to wait.

Waiting is key. Resorting to no action is not by itself a virtue or a call to indolence and apathy. It is more an affirmation of the benefit of patience and of embracing the [chref=1] mystery[/chref]. Of course we're not biologically set up to wait; that's why it can be difficult. We innately want what we need and [chref=46]desires[/chref] it yesterday. Our natural instincts that worked in balance in early pre-neolithic circumstances often cause us grief in the civilized conditions we've set up for ourselves. In our ignorance we tend to blame our natural instincts, i.e., "don't be an animal", rather than our civilized circumstances. We didn't evolve to live in civilized circumstances, now did we? Of course this is countered by our arrogant belief that we humans can and should transcended our animal nature.

Which brings me to the most important model I've relied on in raising my kids ? wild and primordial nature. Asking myself how such and such a situation would play out in nature has helped me discover and know the benefit of resorting to no action.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. Chapter 40 was originally featured on the 3rd week in October, 2004.

Note: The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 40
    Turning back is how the way moves;
    Weakness is the means the way employs.

The myriad creatures in the world are born from
    Something, and Something from Nothing.
  • edited December 1969
    This, our briefest chapter, evokes the deepest emotions within me. Possibly because there are fewer words to get in the way. Pondering it this time (particularly: Weakness is the means the way employs) brings me to tears... well actually some sobbing. It strikes me so poignant how we, in life, struggle to be strong, to win, succeed, measure up... when in truth we are pushing against an inexorable weakness within. Weakness is profound... a gateway to mystery.

I've done Yoga (the vigorous Iyengar style) for forty plus years, but only within the last few, did I realize how deeply weakness was the actual foundation of my practice. Weakness was the key. Before that, Yoga was an 'ego' thing where I was struggling to succeed, win and measure up; Yoga was a way to deny weakness and foster an illusion of strength.

Nothing has really changed in my practice, externally speaking. But internally, the competitive forces have been largely replaced by surrender and yielding to the weakness within. Weakness is eternal, strength is passing, or as they say, "the bigger they are the harder they fall".

Most of my life's blunders occur from getting ahead of myself and racing forward into an imagined future (thanks brain). An ever deepening faith that Turning back is how the way moves helps me look in the right direction to find peace.

Finally, while [chref=2]Something and Nothing produce each other,[/chref] portrays the general Taoist viewpoint, Something from Nothing helps prioritize things. It is as though there are two nothings being spoken about. One is a Nothing than we can know in juxtaposition to Something. The 'deeper' Nothing points to the nameless and primordial - the origin of Something from Nothing. It's like Nothing yet it's not Nothing. Words fail, only feelings of awe remain.
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    I love this chapter; it?s amazing how long (most of my life) I?ve thought that strength, in whatever activity, was what?s real. Now it strikes me how weakness is present in everything. When I view any endeavor or activity with the long-term in mind, (especially the long-term of thousands or millions of years) everything shows weakness. For example, even the strongest person in the world will either grow weaker with old age, or ultimately with death. Steel eventually rusts, mountains eventually crumble, as do empires. The awesome, violent strength of hurricanes and tornadoes eventually weaken and dissipate.

I have been doing some reading in Buddhism, and one of the things pointed out is that all humanity has weakness and suffering. I too feel moved to tears contemplating how no one?s immune to the inherent weakness in the universe. I feel compassion more and more for everyone, even someone like D.C. snipers. We?re all tugged by our desires, struggling to exist in an ever-changing world, often feeling so overwhelmed we make ?mistakes?, both big and small.

Turning back ties in with all this, by pointing in the direction of the weakness of letting go. As opposed to ?sharpening things to a point?, following desire?s pull until reaching the final satiation, which is so much illusion. I had the miserable experience yesterday of being upset with my wife about something I thought she should be doing. I followed my image of how I thought things should be to the point where I was being unfair, and just throwing out energy from my underlying emotions about other things I feel suffering over. Fortunately, in general I?m more able these days to back away from my desires in these situations, to turn back, and not hammer the desire to a point, so that I can deal with the situations in a more thoughtful and compassionate manner, instead of in an angry and thoughtless manner.
  • edited December 1969
    I can see where many, including myself might first have problems with the concept of accepting 'weakness' in our lives, but only because we're focusing on the word 'weakness' which is really just a word, a convenient term to describe a myriad of conditions. Athel;etes destroy their bodies to avoid 'weakness', but the meek (or weak) shall inherit the earth, y'know...

studying shaolin kempo, i've learned, i'll never be the strongest martial artist, but in acknowledging my weaknesses, i grow stronger.
  • edited December 1969
    Chapter 40
    Turning back is how the way moves;
    Weakness is the means the way employs.

The myriad creatures in the world are born from
    Something, and Something from Nothing.

Can "the way" be the "The Way"? Before the term Christian was adopted by Jewish believers in the Messiah they were called "People of The Way." In fact He said, ?...I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 I want to know what you think..

Also, would you comment on these verses?

2 Corinthians 11:30
    If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

2 Corinthians 12:9
    But he said to me, ?My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.? Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Romans 8:26
    In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi AnthropologistCarl,

For me, truth is universal. The various modes of human perception and conception account for the various presentations, e.g., Christian vs Taoist. Much more tumultuous is the effect our innate tribal instincts (social biology) have on religion. All the denominations and the bickering stem from that parochialism and/or fear. Ecumenicalism is a wonderful ideal, but sad to say, human biology will always stand in the way... :( ... sigh.

Naturally, "the way" is the "The Way". The only difference is the capital letters T & W. When we capitalize, we are in effect bringing elitist instincts into play, resulting in the plain old way vs. The Way. The Taoist view points to a universal 'lower position' - the plain old way - which reaches left as well as right and is all inclusive. No one goes to 'hell'. On the other hand, claiming, "I follow The Way" can infer that others don't. The Taoist view would be that we... all things, organic and inorganic... follow 'the way' in a kind of "mysterious sameness". Saying "the way" makes hubris and bigotry a little less likely.

I can interpret and fit the first two Scriptural passages effortlessly into a Taoist view. The third one is more of a stretch and could allow one to project one's agenda. It's all about interpretation, which is simply a reflection of who we are. I suppose a religion can only become popular if it has an extensive body of Scripture which lends itself easily to various interpretations and selective readings.

For example, the old Testament says "An eye for eye", while Jesus says "turn the other check". As a Christian you can hang your hat on either the former if you want revenge, or the latter if you seek the 'lower position'. Jesus's statement correlates to the Taoist view. Thus, had they just made the bible limited to the Gospels, Christianity would probably not be any more popular that Taoism, the superstitious 'hocus pocos' of China's peasant 'Taoism' notwithstanding. By giving folks a means to rationalize and act on their instincts and emotions makes for a 'big tent' religion which can accommodate more folks.
  • edited December 1969
    Ah ha! 'Turning back is how the way moves' reminds me of your email:

'Returning' refers to how we sense life flow. It's boils down to being
    either forwards or 'returning' or a combination of the two. A sense of
    'returning' conveys a sense of eternity. Going forward conveys the
    promise of things to come and an illusion of the happiness that will
    bring.

I really appreciate your instructions to let this resonate, because it's pretty mind boggling. Perhaps it's purposefully so, hmmm?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Ah ha! 'Turning back is how the way moves' reminds me of your email:

'Returning' refers to how we sense life flow. It's boils down to being
    either forwards or 'returning' or a combination of the two. A sense of
    'returning' conveys a sense of eternity. Going forward conveys the
    promise of things to come and an illusion of the happiness that will
    bring.

I really appreciate your instructions to let this resonate, because it's pretty mind boggling. Perhaps it's purposefully so, hmmm?

Yes, exactly, Taoist 'thought' aims to help us pass through the 'prison of thought' which the mind 'cooks up' from years of conditioning circumstances (education) in conjunction with our innate responses to stimuli (instinct). Liberation from our fear (instinct) bound self centric view (education) is the promise.

Most folks are content with life in this 'prison' so have little interest in 'boggling their mind' to free it. The burden of this inherently lonely journey is eased by the companionship of fellow travelers. We hope this web site can give a place for us to gather without having to all go share a monastic life on some mountain top. Maybe we can make this our virtual monastery. :)