Chapter of the Week: #33

Go up to it and you will not see its head;
Follow behind it and you will not see its rear.

Another translation of this line I've read:

"Face it and you will not see its beginning;
Follow behind it and you will not see its end."

In other words - you will not be able to see the origin of the Universe; if you follow the Tao you will not see its end. The Universe is Infinite in a Finite space, whenever you come close to its limits it extends all the more...

Given infinite time in an infinite Universe anything will one day be possible. (Yes one day there will be flying pig-like creatures and who knows they might even wield light-sabres and wear Jedi Robes.)

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 33
    He who knows others is clever;
    He who knows himself has discernment.
    He who overcomes others has force;
    He who overcomes himself is strong.

He who knows contentment is rich;
    He who perseveres is a man of purpose;
    He who does not lose his station will endure;
    He who lives out his days has had a long life.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

One difference that stands out is, He who overcomes himself is strong. The character for this (强) has three variations: jiang4 (stubborn), qiang2 (strong), qiang3 (makes every effort, strive). D.C. Lau choses strong, while I prefer makes every effort. Strong, like force, conveys more of a physical quality. Makes every effort conveys an approach to life, i.e., we can be [chref=36]weak[/chref] and yet make every effort. Realizing enough translates as contentment, but breaking it down adds meaning to the nature of contentment. Finally, there is a slight difference at the end. Naturally, I prefer, He dies, yet loses nothing, This is longevity. It seems a tad closer to the literal. But looking at it either way works fine. For me it comes down to this: when we can make the most of each moment - perfect presence - we lose nothing; we live in eternity. Now, let's see how well I can make every effort. And I'll do pretty good as long as I don't forget to remember.

Ah, short and sweet goes the literal today:
    know (knowledge) man resourceful
    self knower understand
    victory (success) man has power (ability, force),
    self victory (success) makes every effort (strive)
    know foot (enough) rich.
    strive go(prevail, do, conduct) have will (aspiration, ideal)
    not lose (miss) its place long time
    die but not flee (lose, perish),
    longevity.

And short and sweet goes the poetic licensed one too:
    The man of knowledge is resourceful,
    The man who know himself understands.
    The victorious man has powerful ability,
    The man victorious over himself makes every effort.
    Realizing enough, he is rich.
    Stiving to prevail, he has will.
    By not losing his place, he endures.
    He dies, yet loses nothing,
    This is longevity.