Chapter of the Week: #31

Carl wrote:
[cite] TommyO:[/cite]On the other hand, you might say instead, "foolishly I thought I chose to leave off, and even more foolishly imagined that I could orchestrate the nature of my return".

Very nice observation. Interesting. Thank you Carl.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 31
    It is because arms are instruments of ill omen and there are Things that
    detest them that one who has the way does not abide by their use.

The gentleman gives precedence to the left when at home, but to the right
    when he goes to war. Arms are instruments of ill omen, not the instruments of
    the gentleman. When one is compelled to use them, it is best to do so without
    relish. There is no glory in victory, and to glorify it despite this is to
    exult in the killing of men. One who exults in the killing of men will never
    have his way in the empire.

On occasions of rejoicing precedence is given to the left; on occasions of
    mourning precedence is given to the right. A lieutenant's place is on the left;
    the general's place is on the right. This means that it is mourning rites that
    are observed.

When great numbers of people are killed, one should
    weep over them with sorrow. When victorious in
    war, one should observe the rites of mourning.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

What stands out here is how on occasions of mourning precedence is given to the right. Of course, precedence is also given to occasions of rejoicing. Nevertheless, it is mourning that takes the cake (i.e., the general's place). The Bhagavad Gita expresses a similar sentiment, "There are four kinds of men who are good, and the four love me, Arjuna: the man of sorrows, the seeker of knowledge, the seeker of something he treasures, and the man of vision." And, Buddha really brings it home with his The First Noble Truth is the existence of suffering.

Odd, when you think of how often and desperately we try to avoid and conceal suffering - "How are you,... I'm fine... have a nice day..." (ok, I am being a little smarty-pants here; lite greetings like this do lubricate the social bond). But, there is a whisper of truth there. Personally, I find that the deeper I embrace the reality, 'life is suffering', the more at peace I feel. There is nothing more peace-giving than accepting things as they are. [chref=65]Only then is complete conformity realized.[/chref]

Why is 'life is suffering' the bottom line (from the spiritual point of view anyway)? This chapter says there is no glory in victory, or in the killing of men. Truth is, even my smallest victory means someone or something else loses in like measure ( :yy: ). Then also, my losses are another's gain (another being anything from a virus on up).

This points to the difference between 'spiritual' and 'material'. 'Material' is what within us is driven by instinct, e.g., we instinctively desire to be victorious. That is 'material', even if we [chref=19]desire[/chref] to gain 'enlightenment', 'salvation', or some other 'spiritual' victory. 'Spiritual' bubbles up in the absence of passion, and is extinguished upon the return of passion. What does the absence of passion feel like? This comes close: [chref=49]The sage has no mind of his own. He takes as his own the mind of the people.[/chref]

Gain and loss, victory and defeat, [chref=75]life[/chref] and [chref=50]death[/chref] are intertwined. The more 'awake' I become, the deeper I feel this co-generating process at [chref=5]work[/chref], and so just naturally observe the rites of mourning. As we move in life from a lieutenant's place (in youth) to the general's place (in old age) awareness broadens and deepens, and with that can come a deeper reconciliation with loss, suffering and mourning.
  • edited December 1969
    There is nothing more peace-giving than accepting things as they are.

Things as they are include both good and bad, rejoicing and mourning, loss and gain; as you say, they are cogenerating.

So why does mourning, et al, take the cake? I think it's because life is an endless struggle towards desires and away from fears, going towards what we think of as good and going away from what we define as bad--this constant struggle is the suffering. Even the good stuff causes suffering because we know it will end. Am I close? Embrace the struggle and you're home free.